Flores Flourishes with 11 Strikeouts
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (July 3, 2013) -- Augusta's Kendry Flores struck out a career-high 11 batters and the GreenJackets backed him up with a four-run third inning en route to a 6-1 win over the Kannapolis Intimidators on Wednesday at CMC-NorthEast Stadium. Flores combined with two relievers to fan 16 Intimidators, a new season-high in strikeouts for Kannapolis batters.
Flores (6-5) worked 7.0 scoreless innings while allowing two hits and a walk to earn the win. He surpassed his old career-high of 10 strikeouts, set June 20 against Kannapolis in Augusta. Ian Gardeck struck out the side in a perfect eighth inning, and Matt Lujan fanned two more in the ninth.
Kannapolis starter Braulio Ortiz struck out a career-high six batters but walked five, also a career-high. Three of the five batters he walked crossed the plate, including two in the third inning. Ortiz (0-3) suffered his second loss to Augusta, lasting just 4.0 innings and allowing five runs on six hits.
Augusta plated four runs in the third. Alberto Robles drew a leadoff walk and Jesus Galindo followed with a base hit. Andrew Cain drove in the games first run with a groundout, and Matt Duffy followed with a run-scoring single. Mitch Delfino added a sac-fly, and Joey Rapp drove in a run with a base hit for a 4-0 edge. Trevor Brown singled to cash Galindo in the fourth inning to extended the Augusta advantage.
Zach Isler entered the game in relief of Braulio Ortiz and tossed 4.0 scoreless frames before getting into trouble in the ninth. He recorded two outs in the final frame but walked three batters, ending his night after 4 2/3 innings.
The Intimidators did not score until Keon Barnum's RBI-groundout cashed Tim Anderson in the ninth inning.
The Intimidators hit the road for a four-game series at Hickory, taking on the Crawdads July 4-7, before returning to CMC-NorthEast Stadium on Tuesday, July 9, to open a seven-game home stand against West Virginia and Greensboro.. For ticket and promotional information, fans can call the F&M Bank Box Office at (704) 932-3267 or visit intimidatorsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Rodriguez and Nunez Rehab Again, Braves Drop Dogs 8-5 in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Flores Flourishes with 11 Strikeouts - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Lakewood Falls 3-1 in Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Legends Complete Sweep of Drive with 4-2 Win - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Pitching Strong in 3-1 Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawdads Hurt by Errors in 3-1 Setback - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Shutout Power to Sweep Series - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Shut out, Swept - West Virginia Power
- Gnats Briskly Boil Crawdads 3-1 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Wednesday's Tourists Game and Fireworks Extravaganza at McCormick Field Canceled - Asheville Tourists
- Intimidators vs. GreenJackets - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Minor League Stolen Base Leader Johnson Promoted to Winston-Salem - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Legends Announce July 5th Events Sold Out - Lexington Legends
- A-Rod and Charleston Set for Augusta - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power vs. Suns - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - West Virginia Power
- Gallo's Granny Helps 'Dads to 9-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Intimidators Announce New Food Distributor and F & B Director
- Nelly to Perform at Intimidators Stadium Supported by Atrium Health
- Intimidators Announce Participation in MiLB Hispanic Fan Engagement Campaign
- Intimidators Announce Field Staff for 2018
- Building Toward the Future