Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 15 at Augusta (Game 39)
ease note the following New York Mets minor league transactions:
- OF Yoel Romero transferred to Brooklyn from Columbia
-INF Hansel Moreno transferred to Columbia from St. Lucie
Columbia Fireflies (13-25) @ Augusta GreenJackets (19-18)
RHP Colin Holderman (2-0, 1.74) vs. RHP Blake Rivera (1-1, 4.32)
Wed., May 15, 2019 - SRP Park (North Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 39
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia dropped the series opener to Augusta, 3-2. All three of Augusta's runs came via the longball. Fireflies starter Willy Tavares matched a season-high in innings pitched (6.1) for Columbia starters this season. Wagner Lagrange also set a new team-high in doubles for 2019, ripping a pair of two-baggers in the one-run loss.
DON'T LET HIM GET HOT: Columbia third baseman Mark Vientos smacked three hits in the Fireflies' 3-2 loss on Tuesday night. The 4th-rated prospect in the Mets system has been making consistent solid contact as of late, and could be a huge difference maker if his bat heats up.
ACE IN THE HOLE?: Fireflies starter Colin Holderman has excelled in his two starts this season, allowing just two runs in 10.1 innings pitched. He gets the ball in the middle game tonight in Augusta.
STAYING SHARP: Fireflies utility man Brian Sharp played a vital role in a double-header sweep on Monday. After delivering a walk-off single with the bases loaded in game one, the Missouri native mashed a go-ahead, three-run homer to put the Fireflies ahead for good in game two. Combined, he went 3-7 on the day with a home run, a double, four RBIs and two runs scored.
FOLLOW THE LAW: Keith Law, senior baseball writer at ESPN, ranked Columbia's roster as the 7th-most "Loaded Roster" in all of Minor League Baseball. Law recognized the fact Columbia's roster includes the Mets' third, fourth and fifth-rated prospects (infielders Ronny Mauricio, Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton, respectively), New York's past two second-round draft choices (RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson, Vientos) and the system's ninth-rated prospect, left-hander Thomas Szapucki (drafted in the fifth round in 2015). The roster also features 26th (Baseball America) and 27th-rated prospects Chris Viall and Christian James. The prospect rankings are according to MLB.com unless otherwise noted.
NEW STAFF: Fireflies second-year manager Pedro Lopez notwithstanding, Columbia has an entirely different coaching staff in 2019. Former big leaguer and Mets pitcher Royce Ring assumes the role as pitching coach and former Eastern League champion Luis Rivera is the new hitting coach. One-time Mets farmhand (and former player for Lopez in Binghamton in 2014) Gilbert Gomez is the team's first-ever bench coach. Daichi Arima (athletic trainer), Sam Nickelsen (strength and conditioning coach), Nicole Collins (assistant athletic trainer) and Dave Williams (mental skills coach) complete the Fireflies coaching staff in 2019.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 15, 2019
- RiverDogs Survive Late Power Rally, Walk off for Second Straight Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Late-Inning Rally Falls Short in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Drive Clip Crawdads, 6-5, on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Offense Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- Holderman Dazzles Again in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 15 at Augusta (Game 39) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Split Pair with 'Hoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Olague Leads Braves to another Win over Tourists - Rome Braves
- Claws Rally for 3-2 Wednesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (May 15) - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Early Lead Again - Hagerstown Suns
- Schmidt Showcases Electric Stuff But Receives No Help - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Vientos, Lagrange Notch Multi-Hit Games, Columbia Drops Opener in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Defeats Asheville 5-1 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta