FINAL: Tacoma 2, New Orleans 0
Weber Dominant In Rainiers 2-0 Victory Over New Orleans
Ryan Weber allows just three hits through seven innings
TACOMA, Wash. - The Tacoma Rainiers (19-11) rode an outstanding performance from their pitching staff and notched key hits early to secure a 2-0 victory over the New Orleans Baby Cakes (11-20), 2-0, Monday night at Cheney Stadium.
Right fielder Boog Powell (1x3, RBI) and first baseman Daniel Vogelbach (1x4, RBI) tallied a pair of RBI doubles in Tacoma's first shutout victory over New Orleans since June 28, 2001.
The Rainiers jumped on the scoreboard early in the bottom half of the first. Center fielder Leonys Martin singled into shallow left field to lead off and came around to score when Powell doubled down the right field line. Powell attempted to stretch the extra-base hit to a triple and was thrown out at third.
Tacoma would add to their lead in the third when Vogelbach ripped a double down the right field line, scoring Powell from second and increasing the Rainiers lead to 2-0.
Rainiers starter Ryan Weber (2-0, 0.85) tossed seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits and just one walk while striking out three. Weber was credited with his second victory of the season.
Rainiers right-hander Andrew Moore (0-0, -.--) and Baby Cakes righty Vance Worley (1-4, 3.03) will take the mound Tuesday night in the series finale. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m.
All tickets, group outings and suites packages for the 2017 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at www.tacomarainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter ( @RainiersLand ) or liking the team on Facebook .
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 9, 2017
- Navarro's Hit Pushes Bees Past Omaha - Salt Lake Bees
- OKC Dodgers and American Fidelity to Honor All-Stars in Civic Service - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Four-Run Frames Fuel 12-5 Sox Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Win on Christian Walker's Grand Slam - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Win Fourth Straight in Carle's Spot - Albuquerque Isotopes
- FINAL: Tacoma 2, New Orleans 0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Can'T Hold Late Lead in 6-5 Loss to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Rallies Late to Down Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- El Paso 5 Nashville 4 - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.