Fightin Phils Earn 6-1 Win over RubberDucks
Reading's Darick Hall clubbed a two-run homer, and Connor Seabold claimed his first Double-A win, as the Fightin Phils defeated the Akron RubberDucks, 6-1, Wednesday night at Canal Park in Akron, Ohio.
Hall cracked a two-run shot to right field with a man on and one out in the fourth inning against Akron right-hander James Karinchak (0-1). It was Hall's 12th of the year and gave the Fightin Phils a 2-0 lead.
Seabold (1-2) worked seven innings in just his eighth start since joining the Fightin Phils from High-A in late June. He allowed just one run on four hits over seven innings. A third-round selection by the Phillies last summer out of Cal State-Fullerton, Seabold fanned a season-high seven hitters. Australian lefty Josh Tols worked the eighth without allowing a run, and Edgar Garcia finished the Ducks off with a scoreless ninth in a non-save situation.
The RubberDucks (66-49) managed their only run of the night in the seventh when Nellie Rodriguez singled to left and came home on a ringing double to left by Connor Marabell. Rodriguez also singled in the fourth and finished 2-3 on the night. Mark Mathias cracked a double off the left-field wall in the third for Akron's first hit.
Indians right-hander Josh Tomlin made his first minor league rehabilitation start for the Ducks and tossed three scoreless innings...Reading (54-60) picked up four big insurance runs, three of which were unearned due to a dropped fly ball, in the ninth inning off Dominic DeMasi to extend the lead to 6-1...The Fightins have won the first two games of the series... The Ducks have managed just two runs on five hits in the series...Since Altoona lost at Trenton Wednesday, the Ducks maintained a four-game lead in the EL West with 25 games to play...Akron donned vintage, purple Aeros jerseys for a "throwback" promotion...Time of game: 2:30... Attendance: 4,154.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks and Fightin Phils will conclude the series on Thursday night at 7:05. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 8, 2018
- Bowie Breaks out Bats in 13-6 Romp - Bowie Baysox
- You Can't Win 'em All: First-Place Fishers Fall to Baysox - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie with 21 Hits as They Beat Portland 18-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Seabold earns first AA win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sens Unable to Herd Yard Goats in 5-2 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Arenado Takes Air out of Ponies August Attack - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightin Phils Earn 6-1 Win over RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Jonah Whales Binghamton; Squirrels Even Series - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Garcia and Bednar Veto Senators for Goats' Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- Agrazal Strong in Return But Bats Go Quiet in 2-1 Loss - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #115 - Rumble Ponies (54-60) at Flying Squirrels (53-59) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 8th at Erie - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bollinger Deals, Bullpen Holds off Late Threats in Win - Trenton Thunder
- Game Notes vs. Portland - Erie SeaWolves
- Yard Goats to Host "Links at the Yard" Golf Event at Dunkin' Donuts Park - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Weather Rain, Thunder to Take Opener in Trenton - Altoona Curve
- Rogers Help Blast Erie to Victory - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.