Fernandez Homers Twice In Win Over Rawhide
LANCASTER, Calif. - Vince Fernandez hit a pair of home runs and Rico Garcia turned in a strong start as the JetHawks beat Visalia, 4-2, Wednesday night at The Hangar. The win was Lancaster's third in a row and fourth in five games.
Fernandez wasted little time getting the JetHawks on the board, leading off the second inning with his first home run of the night. He added to his tally in the fourth inning, with a home run off of the batter's eye in dead centerfield.
Lancaster (20-20) went in front on the second Fernandez long ball and did not look back. An Alan Trejo RBI single and a Max George home run accounted for the rest of the offense. George has hit three of his four home runs this year against the Rawhide.
Visalia (22-18) answered each of the first two Lancaster runs, but the Rawhide hitters were kept mostly in check Wednesday. Rico Garcia (5-3) allowed just two runs in six innings en route to his fifth win.
Kenny Oakley, Justin Lawrence and Reid Humphreys combined to pitch the final three innings. Humphreys picked up his league-leading ninth save. Lancaster's four pitchers did not walk a batter.
Riley Smith (2-3) gave up all four Lancaster runs in a losing effort for Visalia. Smith has lost twice against the JetHawks this season and has allowed five home runs in those games.
With the win, Lancaster is back to .500 for the first time since May 8. The JetHawks lead the division with 30 games left in the First Half.
Lancaster goes for a series sweep in the finale Thursday. Lefty Ty Culbreth (0-0) makes his second start for the JetHawks against Connor Grey (4-1). First pitch is at 6:35 pm.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Arms Dominate, Bats Deliver Late in 6-3 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Big Inning Dooms Giants in 6-3 Loss - San Jose Giants
- Ports Edge Quakes 2-1 for Series Win - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Finishes Road Trip Thursday, Back Home with Bellinger Bobblheads on Friday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Everybody Hits in 66ers 6-3 Win at Lake Elsinore - Inland Empire 66ers
- Quakes Bats Sink Ports 6-3 - Stockton Ports
- Kremer Strong in Win over Ports on Wednesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Late Run Lifts Giants to 3-2 Victory - San Jose Giants
- Eighth-Inning Double Sends Nuts to 3-2 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Fernandez Homers Twice In Win Over Rawhide - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.