FC Cincinnati Acquires Costa Rica National Team Midfielder Allan Cruz
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati has acquired midfielder Allan Cruz via transfer from Costa Rican side Herediano. A native of Nicoya, Costa Rica, Cruz will occupy an international roster spot when he officially joins Cincinnati's 2019 MLS roster pending receipt of his U.S. P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.
Cruz, 22, comes to Cincinnati after playing six professional seasons in his native Costa Rica. Cruz has played exclusively in Costa Rica's top division, Liga FPD, with Herediano (2017-19) and Uruguay de Coronado (2013-16).
Additionally, he has earned six caps for Costa Rica's senior national team after making his senior international debut in a friendly against South Korea on Sept. 7, 2018.
"We are excited to add Allan to our roster," FC Cincinnati Head Coach Alan Koch said. "While he is still a young player, he has already found success on the pitch at both the club and international levels. We look forward to getting him acquainted with our club and the city of Cincinnati."
In Herediano's 2018-19 winter season, Cruz scored five goals and added three assists in 27 appearances across all competitions. Cruz was part of the squad that captured El Team's 27th title for their performance in Liga FPD's winter season. Herediano also claimed the 2018 Scotiabank Concacaf League title in the competition's second year of existence. Cruz tallied in the first leg of the of the final in that competition.
Internationally, Cruz has played alongside FCC center back Kendall Waston on three occasions in international matches. Cruz scored his first-ever international goal in a friendly at Peru on Nov. 21, 2018. At the youth national team level, Cruz was named to Costa Rica's U-23 roster for the 2015 Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship.
The next time Cincinnati takes the field, it will be as MLS' 24th team in 2019 when the club debuts in the top professional league in the U.S. and Canada.
FC Cincinnati's debut MLS game will be at Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday, March 2, at CenturyLink Field. The Orange and Blue will make its home debut as an MLS team at Nippert Stadium on Sunday, March 17, when the team hosts MLS Cup finalist Portland Timers at 5 p.m. Tickets to that game are currently exclusively available only through 2019 Season Tickets Memberships, which start at $199 and are now on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. For more information about FC Cincinnati tickets - including 2019 season tickets - call 513-977-KICK (5425) or visit fccincinnati.com/tickets.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati acquired M Allan Cruz via transfer on Jan. 18, 2019.
Birthdate: February 24, 1996
Birthplace: Nicoya, Costa Rica
Hometown: Nicoya, Costa Rica
Last Club: CS Herediano (CRC)
Nationality: Costa Rica
MLS Roster Status: International Player
How Acquired: Via transfer from CS Herediano on Jan. 18, 2019
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2019
- LAFC Announces Time Change for 2019 Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Sign Veteran Goalkeeper Daniel Vega - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Add Nick Dasovic to Technical Staff as U-23 Development Squad Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- David Guzman, Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for International Match against United States - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Match at Colorado Rapids Rescheduled to September 11 - LA Galaxy
- New York City FC Announces Preseason in Abu Dhabi - New York City FC
- Timbers Acquire Slovenian Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Costa Rica National Team Midfielder Allan Cruz - FC Cincinnati
- Kickoff for FC Dallas' March 23rd Match against Colorado Moved to 3:30PM CT - FC Dallas
- Impact Returns to the Rowdies Suncoast Invitational in February - Montreal Impact
- New England Revolution Sign Academy Product Justin Rennicks - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati to Play D.C. United in Preseason at IMG Academy - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Add Rowdies Suncoast Invitational, Two Other Preseason Matches to Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Canadian International Centre Back Derek Cornelius - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Brazilian Midfielder Robinho from Ceara Sporting Club of Brazil's First Division - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Single-Match Tickets to Go on Sale January 23 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.