Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week
ATLANTA, Ga. - Atlanta United midfielder Ezequiel Barco was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 7 following his brace in Atlanta's 2-0 road victory at New England Revolution on April 13.
The Argentine midfielder came on as an early substitute in the 15th minute but wasted no time to make an impact off the bench. He scored the opening goal in the 29th minute after one-timing a cross by Héctor Villalba from the top of the six-yard box into the back of the net. In the 49th minute, Barco produced some magic from just outside the box. He collected a Villalba pass, moved the ball onto his right foot and unleashed a stunning curling strike into the top right corner to double Atlanta United's lead. It was the first multigoal match for Barco in his MLS career.
Barco becomes the third Atlanta United player in team history to receive the MLS Player of the Week award. In 2017, Josef Martinez and Miguel Almirón won the award twice each. Last season, Almirón (Week 9) and Martinez (Week 3, 14, 21, 26) combined for five weekly honors.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Atlanta United returns to action Saturday, April 20 against FC Dallas. Kickoff from Mercedes-Benz Stadium is set for 4:00 p.m. EST and the match will be nationally televised on ESPN.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 15, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 15, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Tomas MartÃnez Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Takes Part in MLS Works Week of Service - Montreal Impact
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC to Open Full Stadium Capacity for Four Matches in 2019 MLS Regular Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 15, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Managing Nani's Workload a Key for City's Success - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 15, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC to Host Bronx Borough Night on Wednesday, April 24 - New York City FC
- Busio Strikes Late as Sporting Snares 2-2 Draw vs. Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Advances to Eastern Conference Semifinals, Defeats New England Revolution 1-0
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.