Extra-Large Parkview Field Crowd Sees TinCaps Fall to Bees in Extras
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - In Parkview Field's 10th season, the 10th largest crowd in the ballpark's history saw the TinCaps and Burlington Bees (Los Angeles Angels) play more than 10 innings, and the Bees win, 4-2, in 12. The crowd of 8,647 fans marked the 11th sellout of the season in Fort Wayne.
Burlington (7-19, 37-58) catcher Harrison Wenson hit what proved to be a game-winning two-run homer to left field in the top of the 12th that broke a 2-2 tie.
Down to their final strike in the ninth, trailing 2-1, the TinCaps (13-14, 45-51) had equalized on an opposite-field single for third baseman Luis Almanzar that scored pinch-runner Robbie Podorsky from second base. Podorsky was running for shortstop Gabriel Arias, who had singled with one out and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt from catcher Juan Fernandez.
The scoring started in the first. The Bees got a two-out RBI double from their right fielder Kevin Williams. Fort Wayne equalized in the home first, two batters in, as second baseman Esteury Ruiz hit his team-leading ninth home run of the season, a line drive to the XFINITY Home Run Porch in left. Ruiz finished with a game-high four hits, setting a season high for himself.
The score remained knotted, 1-1, into the sixth inning, when Burlington left fielder Orlando Martinez unloaded a solo homer to right.
Pitching was sharp for both sides. In six quality innings, TinCaps starter Tom Cosgrove matched a season-best with eight strikeouts. Austin Smith followed by fanning five of the six batters he retired in two scoreless frames. Travis Radke K-ed four in three innings, equaling a season-long performance. Fred Schlichtholz struck out a pair in the 12th. The 19 combined strikeouts for Fort Wayne pitchers set a season premium. Meanwhile, Bees pitchers struck out 17.
Friday, July 20 vs. Burlington (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Aaron Leasher
- Bees Probable Starter: RHP Jose Soriano
Watch: Comcast Network 81
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2018
- Hot Rods Batter Snappers, 8-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Extra-Large Parkview Field Crowd Sees TinCaps Fall to Bees in Extras - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Fall 8-0 in Rained Shortened Game - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Go to Extra Innings, Fall 1-0 in Wisconsin - Dayton Dragons
- Montero Powers Peoria Past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Bandits in 5-2 Loss to South Bend - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Five-Run Fifth Propels Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Watson's Gem Drops Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Montero Slugs Two Homers as Chiefs Clinch Series - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Claim 6-3 Victory Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Burlington (Game 96) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Claim Middle Game over LumberKings - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings return home to close out July - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Winning streak snapped in 8-1 loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons 5K at Fifth Third Field this Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- River Bandits Swipe 2-1 Win over Cubs in Series Opener - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps to Undergo Leadership Changes at the End of the Year - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Grind for Win in 11 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rosario Homers in Series-Opening Setback - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Fall in Opener at Beloit, 7-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hargrove Propels Snappers to 7-3 Win over Hot Rods - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- 2019 TinCaps Opening Day Tickets on Sale for Holidays
- TinCaps Extending Team Store Hours for Holiday Season,
- TinCaps a Finalist for Major Minor League Baseball Award
- 50 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2018
- TinCaps Earn Ballpark Digest's "Continued Excellence Award"