Express Rally Falls Short as Sounds Win 5-4
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (12-16) threatened late but ultimately couldn't top the Nashville Sounds (12-12), dropping a 5-4 decision on Thursday night at Dell Diamond. E-Train RHP Eddie Gamboa (2-2, 5.51) suffered the loss after allowing five runs on eight hits in seven innings of work.
Nashville starter RHP Chris Smith (2-1, 2.39) earned the win following a performance in which he surrendered just two runs on 10 hits while striking out eight in 5.2 innings on the bump.
The Sounds took a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. LF Jaycob Brugman smoked a one-out double to left field before RF Mark Canha worked a walk. In the next at-bat, 1B Matt Olson lined a three-run homer over the wall in right field.
Round Rock struck back with a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame. 2B Drew Robinson opened the inning with a leadoff walk. SS Jurickson Profar followed up with a single, then 1B Ronald Guzman sent Robinson home with a double. C Brett Nicholas picked up his fourth hit in as many plate appearances in the next at-bat, lining a single to right that scored Profar to cut the deficit to 3-2.
In the second, Nashville DH Chris Parmelee blasted a solo shot that pushed the Sounds advantage to 4-2. After three scoreless frames, Sounds 3B Matt Chapman dropped a one-out triple to the deepest part of left-center field. The third baseman scored on an ensuing Parmelee sacrifice fly.
The E-Train edged closer with a pair of runs in the bottom of the seventh. Robinson and Profar teamed up for a pair of doubles to open the frame, cutting the deficit to 5-3 in the process. After a Guzman flyout moved Profar to third, the speedy shortstop scored in impressive fashion on a Nicholas fielder's choice.
Realizing that he wouldn't beat the throw to the plate, Profar slid wide of C Ryan Lavarnway, causing the catcher to dive over the right-handed batters box. Profar slid around the catcher, ultimately reaching his hand around the tag to safely touch home. The Express couldn't follow the heroics with any late runs as the Sounds held on to take the 5-4 decision.
Friday night's series finale features the Round Rock Dance Halls taking on the Nashville Honky Tonks in the inaugural #BattleForTheBoot. Dance Halls RHP Tyler Wagner (0-3, 9.55) is set to face off against Honky Tonks RHP Zach Neal (1-2, 4.87). The two-game home-and-home series will determine which city can declare itself as the real music city. The Dance Halls and Honky Tonks will meet again on June 29 in Nashville. First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 7:05 p.m. The game will also feature postgame Bud Light Friday Fireworks set to the tune of Texas country music.
Single game tickets, season memberships, Flex Plans and Kids Club packages are on sale now. For more information on the Express, visit or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter !
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 4, 2017
- Sounds Hit .500 Mark with Win over Express - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Straight Wins for the Redbirds After 12-9 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Rally Falls Short as Sounds Win 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Iowa and New Orleans Split Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes, Cubs Split Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Upcoming Bees Homestand Includes Wizards, Pack The Park Pink and More - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Smash Bees with 22 Runs on 26 Hits - Reno Aces
- Bees Fall to Aces - Salt Lake Bees
- Upcoming Bees Homestand Includes Wizards, Pack the Park Pink and More - Salt Lake Bees
- El Paso Chihuahuas Roster Transactions - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Redbirds Offering Additional Family Fun on Mother's Day - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers Down Sky Sox,6-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Drop 6-2 Matinee - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Sting Bees in Game Two - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Evens Series with 7-3 Win over Nashville - Round Rock Express
- GAME RECAP: Hoffman Guides Isotopes to 6-3 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Albuquerque 6 El Paso 3 - Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Streak Comes to An End as Sounds Fall 7-3 to Express - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Recap: May 3, 2017 - Colorado Springs 6, OKC 3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Score Five Straight in 6-3 Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Opening Weekend Festivities Take over Dell Diamond
- Round Rock Express Announce Entire 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Round Rock Express Announce Variety of Kids Promotions and Events
- Round Rock Express Announce Full Slate of Theme Nights for 2018
- Round Rock Express Announce Postgame Summer Concert Series Lineup