Energy FC Defeats Sporting KC II in Behind Closed Doors Friendly
Energy FC played 90 minutes of competitive soccer for the first time since March 7, as USL Championship side Sporting Kansas City II made the trip to Oklahoma City Friday afternoon for a friendly tune-up.
The Greens created more chances in each half, with Arun Basuljevic going closest in the opening 45 minutes.
Kyle Hyland's cross from the left wing found Basuljevic near the top of the box. The midfielder's first-time shot was blocked, but his second attempt clanged off the post in the 15th minute.
Chavez made the breakthrough for OKC in the second half after Omar Gordon's work down the left-hand side created a golden opportunity.
Gordon collected the ball in behind the Sporting defense, cut inside as if he was going to shoot, but instead cut towards the end line before squaring the ball to a wide open Chavez, who clinically finished in the side netting from eight yards out.
Energy FC will resume their 2020 season on Monday, July 13 against FC Tulsa at Taft Stadium. A limited number of tickets will go on sale Tuesday, July 7 at 10 a.m. CT, but fans can register for the presale now.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 3, 2020
- Energy FC Defeats Sporting KC II in Behind Closed Doors Friendly - OKC Energy FC
- Hoffman Joins Orange County SC on Loan for 2020 Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Third All-Time USL Goal Scorer Joins Orange County SC - Orange County SC
- USL Championship Announces Opening ESPN2 Broadcast Lineup - USL
- It's a 'Balancing Act' as LouCity Players Ready for Their Restart - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.