El Paso Locomotive FC Inks Record-Setting Phoenix Rising Midfielder Jose Aguinaga
EL PASO, Texas - El Paso Locomotive FC welcomes Midfielder José Aguinaga from Phoenix Rising FC, pending league and federation approval, the club announced on Thursday.
"José is a player we have admired for a long time," said Mark Lowry, Locomotive Head Coach, and Technical Director. "He started 32 games for Phoenix during their record-breaking 2019 season, and for me, he was one of their most influential players. He has an ability in the final third to create and make things happen and the key attributes that make a Locomotive player; comfortable on the ball and a willingness to run and chase on transition. He is coming here hungry to win, and we intend to do more of that in 2021."
Aguinaga, 25, joins El Paso Locomotive after two successful seasons with Phoenix Rising FC, making 38 appearances, earning three goals and seven assists. The Madrid, Spain native helped lift the Arizona team to a 2019 Regular Season title win, a record North American win-streak, as well as a 2020 Western Conference appearance. Prior to joining Phoenix Rising, Aguinaga played his youth career within the Real Madrid and Getafe FC academies. Aguinaga joined Rider University in New Jersey playing four years with Broncs, amassing 18 goals in 78 appearances, while making appearances with the Seattle Sounders and New York Red Bulls (NYRB) U-23 teams. The midfielder was selected in the fourth round of the 2018 MLS Superdraft by NYRB, where he was signed to USL side NYRB II recording six goals in 21 appearances.
"It feels really exciting for me to join the team," shared Aguinaga. "I've followed the team since it was announced in 2018 and have played against Locomotive for two years. I have always loved the Locomotive style of play and I think it fits with me really well. I happen to know Yuma - we grew up in the same city and we are always keeping in touch. He has told me about the city and the team. I'm looking forward to getting to know the rest of the team and coaching staff."
Aguinaga brings a creative and distinguished element to the El Paso Midfield as the latest signing ahead of the 2021 USL Championship season. El Paso Locomotive is currently working on additional player announcements for the 2021 season and will announce the renewals and new signings once they are confirmed.
El Paso Locomotive FC's roster as it currently stands headed into the 2021 USL Championship season, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (1): Logan Ketterer
Defenders (4): Ãder Borelli, Macca King, Niall Logue, Yuma
Midfielders (6): José Aguinaga, Louis Herrera, Dylan Mares, Bryam RebellÃ³n, Nick Ross, Richie Ryan
Forwards (2): Aidan Apodaca, Leandro CarrijÃ³
El Paso Locomotive FC returns to action for its third season in the USL Championship in 2021! Lock in your seats by visiting eplocomotivefc.com/seasontickets or calling/texting 915-235-GOAL and enjoy world-class Championship soccer at Southwest University Park!
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 8, 2021
- Roots Sign Mexican Born Midfielder Jose Hernandez - Oakland Roots
- Real Monarchs Adds New Zealand Defender Kyle Adams - Real Monarchs SLC
- LouCity Academy Appoints Junior Director to Lead New Age Groups - Louisville City FC
- Republic FC Adds Goalkeeper Tomas Gomez to Roster - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Diego Loyal Rolls out Part-Time Youth Development Program, "Loyal SelectÃ¢ÂÂ - San Diego Loyal
- El Paso Locomotive FC Inks Record-Setting Phoenix Rising Midfielder Jose Aguinaga - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Riverhounds SC Sign Alex Dixon - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Miami FC Signs Experienced Center Back Ramon Martin Del Campo - Miami FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent El Paso Locomotive FC Stories
- El Paso Locomotive FC Launches Partnership with Global Sports Brand adidas
- Defender Andrew Fox Re-Signs for Third Year with El Paso Locomotive FC
- El Paso Locomotive Youth Soccer Club Announces Coaching Staff for USL Academy League Team
- El Paso Locomotive Inks Former MLS and USL Standout Forward Luis Solignac
- Haitian International Mechack Jerome Returns for Third Season with El Paso Locomotive