Eighth-Inning Double Sends Nuts to 3-2 Loss
San Jose, CA. - Despite holding a pair of one-run leads, the Modesto Nuts fell to the San Jose Giants on Wednesday night at Municipal Stadium.
In the eighth, Michael Koval (L, 0-2) entered the game for the Nuts (17-23) and allowed a leadoff single. After a pair of fielder's choices, Gio Brusa ended up at first. He took off on the pitch to Sandro Fabian who drilled a double off the left field wall scoring Brusa to give the Giants (23-17) the lead before Patrick Routolo (W, 3-0) worked his second perfect inning in the ninth to shut the door on the Nuts.
The Nuts had taken the lead in the seventh inning. With Anthony Jimenez at third and two outs, Bryson Brigman rolled a weak grounder to third that he was able to beat out for a go-ahead RBI infield single.
The Giants had tied the game in the bottom of the seventh when Bryce Johnson delivered a two-out RBI single against reliever John Richy.
Kyle Lewis gave the Nuts the initial lead in the first inning when he doubled home Donnie Walton. Walton finished 2-for-4 with a double.
Darren McCaughan started the game for the Nuts and worked five innings allowing one run on five hits with four strikeouts and no walks. McCaughan did not allow a hit until the fifth. The only run against the righty was a double by Jacob Heyward.
The rubber game of the three-game set with the Giants is set for 11:30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Coverage on ModestoNuts.com will start at 11:25 p.m. Listen live online on your phone, tablet or PC.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Arms Dominate, Bats Deliver Late in 6-3 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Big Inning Dooms Giants in 6-3 Loss - San Jose Giants
- Ports Edge Quakes 2-1 for Series Win - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Finishes Road Trip Thursday, Back Home with Bellinger Bobblheads on Friday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Everybody Hits in 66ers 6-3 Win at Lake Elsinore - Inland Empire 66ers
- Quakes Bats Sink Ports 6-3 - Stockton Ports
- Kremer Strong in Win over Ports on Wednesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Late Run Lifts Giants to 3-2 Victory - San Jose Giants
- Eighth-Inning Double Sends Nuts to 3-2 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Fernandez Homers Twice In Win Over Rawhide - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.