Eight Winterhawks Score in 9-4 Victory
Sixteen different Winterhawks registered a point as Portland scored its most goals in a game this season, beating the Regina Pats 9-4 at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Portland is the first WHL team to reach 30 wins this season and they lead the Western Conference with 172 goals scored.
Robbie Fromm-Delorme scored the Hawks quickest goal of the season 36 seconds into the game and Portland exploded for five first period goals to leap out to a 5-0 lead after 16:45 of play. Portland and Regina went blow-for-blow the rest of the night as the Winterhawks cruised to a decisive win on home ice.
The win continues the Hawks Canadian Hockey League leading 16-game point streak and they have now won the last seven games against Regina.
Eight different Winterhawks scored in tonight's win.
Cross Hanas (2G-2A) and Gabe Klassen (G-2A) set new career highs for points in a game.
Johnny Ludvig notched his second career three point night with a goal and two assists. Simon Knak set a new season-high with three assists and he tied his career best with three points.
Reece Newkirk upped his point streak to 17 games in-a-row with a power play goal in the second period.
The Winterhawks have scored a power play goal in four straight games.
The Hawks are now 5-0-0-0 against East Division opponents this season.
Box Score (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer stopped 29-of-33 shots.
REG: Donovan Buskey stopped 29-of-38 shots.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2020
- Five Winterhawks Highlight NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Portland Winterhawks
- Conner Bruggen-Cate Named Team Captain - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Pats Sign Forward Easton Armstrong - Regina Pats
- Royals Offer Free Hockey Night - Victoria Royals
- Gould Ready for the National Spotlight at Top Prospects Game - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, January 15 at Swift Current - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Stifle Americans - Victoria Royals
- Eight Winterhawks Score in 9-4 Victory - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Lose First of Back-To-Back Games in Victoria 3-1 - Tri-City Americans
- Beckman Stays Hot as Blazers Beat Chiefs 6-3 - Spokane Chiefs
- ICE Pick up Second Straight Victory Inside the ICE Cave - Winnipeg Ice
- Portland Pots Nine to Down Pats - Regina Pats
- ICE Bounce Cougars, 5-1 - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.