Eight is Great for Biscuits in 9-5 Win
JACKSON, Ten. - Down 4-1, the Biscuits (8-6) exploded for eight runs in the eighth inning to stun the team that eliminated them from last year's postseason, defeating the Jackson Generals (9-5) 9-5 on Thursday night in West Tennessee.
Montgomery sent Yonny Chirinos to the mound for the Venezuelan's third start of the season, and the right-hander delivered another strong performance allowing just three earned runs through 6.2 innings on three solo home runs. The Biscuits could only muster an RBI-single from Justin O'Conner in the third through the first seven innings.
That all changed in the eighth when Jackson brought on reliever and Diamondbacks number ten prospect Jared Miller who walked Grant Kay to begin the inning. A single by Justin Williams in the subsequent at-bat followed by another O'Conner RBI-single made it a 4-2 game before Nick Ciuffo flew out.
Then Michael Russell was hit by a pitch to load the bases, and Nathan Lukes drove a pitch to deep left field that popped in and out of the glove of Kelly Dugan that brought home both Justins to tie the game at four. Russell would score on a passed ball on a ball-four pitch to Riley Unroe to give the Biscuits their first lead of the game at 5-4, and then Braxton Lee stepped up and pistoled a bases-clearing double into left-center to put the game out of reach. Kay, in his second at-bat of the inning, would single home Lee to make it a five-run game.
The Biscuits are now a game out of first place in the First Half North, and have won both road series on their ten-game road trip. Montgomery will try to pull even with Jackson for first in Friday's series finale at 6:05 PM when Greg Harris (1-0, 1.38) clashes with Alex Young (0-0, 1.80).
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Shuckers Score Early, but Drop Series Finale in Chattanooga - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons Hang on to Top Smokies 4-3 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Jumbo Shrimp Fall to Blue Wahoos 2-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Silence the Smokies' Bats - Tennessee Smokies
- Tampa Bay Rays' OF Colby Rasmus to Rehab in Montgomery - Montgomery Biscuits
- Finale Versus Montgomery Rained Out - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits and Generals Postponed - Montgomery Biscuits
- 8 Reasons to Catch the Biscuits this Homestand - Montgomery Biscuits
- Jumbo Shrimp Roster Moves - April 21 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Daniel Gibson Joins Generals - Jackson Generals
- Offensive Onslaught Too Much for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Pensacola off to Best Start in Team History - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Smokies Strong All Around in Double Header - Tennessee Smokies
- Elusive Eighth Inning Outs Undo Generals - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Take Both Games of Thursday's Doubleheader from Barons - Birmingham Barons
- Jumbo Shrimp Fall to Blue Wahoos 8-5 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Eight is Great for Biscuits in 9-5 Win - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.