ECHL Selects Bill Ballou for Outstanding Media Award
PRINCETON, N.J.- The ECHL announced on Tuesday that Bill Ballou of The Telegram & Gazette in Worcester, Massachusetts has been selected as the 2017-18 recipient of the ECHL Outstanding Media Award for his coverage of the Worcester Railers Hockey Club.
The award is determined in a vote of league media members, media relations directors and broadcasters.
"Going into last season I was covering an expansion team in a league I was unfamiliar with, so I had no idea what to expect," Ballou said. "It turned out to be one of the most enjoyable years I've ever had writing about hockey."
A lifelong resident of Whitinsville, Massachusetts, Ballou graduated from the University of Massachusetts in 1970 and has been with The Telegram & Gazette since 1984. He has covered three different pro hockey teams in Worcester, including the IceCats from 1994-2005 and the Sharks from 2006-15, in addition to the Railers. He is a two-time winner of the American Hockey League's Ellery Award for print journalism. Ballou is also a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America and is in his 32nd season of covering the Boston Red Sox.
ECHL Outstanding Media Award Winners
2017-18 Bill Ballou, The Telegram & Gazette
2016-17 Doyle Woody, Alaska Dispatch News
2015-16 Mark Monroe, The Toledo Blade
2014-15 Blake Sebring, TheNews-Sentinel
2013-14 Doyle Woody, Anchorage Daily News
2012-13 Andrew Miller, The Post & Courier
2011-12 Christine Troyke, Gwinnett Daily Post
2010-11 Pam Shebest, Kalamazoo Gazette
2009-10 Doyle Woody, Anchorage Daily News
2008-09 Mike Griffith, Bakersfield Californian
2007-08 Cleve Dheensaw, Victoria Times-Colonist
Doyle Woody, Anchorage Daily News
2006-07 Scott Linesburgh, Stockton Record
2005-06 Matt Nevala, Anchorage Daily News
2004-05 Mike Mastovich, The Tribune-Democrat
2003-04 Len Bardsley, The Times of Trenton
2002-03 Dave Eminian, Peoria Journal Star
The Worcester Railers HC 2018-19 home opener at the DCU Center is Saturday, October 20 vs. the Maine Mariners. The only way to secure your spot to opening night is by purchasing a season membership, flex package or a group outing by contacting the Railers HC front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 12, 2018
- Adirondack Finalizes Pair of Futures Trades - Adirondack Thunder
- Big Announcements Coming from Coach Martinson this Saturday - Allen Americans
- Bench Boss Ftorek Returns to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Ballou Receives 2017-18 ECHL Outstanding Media Award - ECHL
- ECHL Selects Bill Ballou for Outstanding Media Award - Worcester Railers HC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers
- Worcester Railers HC Announce Front Office Promotion
- Worcester Railers HC Host Two Promotion Packed Games at the DCU Center this Weekend
- Railers Win Third Straight After 4-2 Home Win over the Monarchs