Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 21, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes fell against the Portland Timbers 6-1 on Saturday night at Earthquakes Stadium, after earning a point in a 1-1 draw against the same opponent earlier in the week on Wednesday. Saturday's match saw Quakes midfielder Carlos Fierro make his first start and first MLS goal of the season. Rookie midfielder Jack Skahan and eighteen-year-old homegrown defender Jacob Akanyirige made their MLS debuts on Saturday and Wednesday, respectively.
The Earthquakes now turn their attention to a pair of away matches this week. San Jose will travel out of state to square up against the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday, Sept. 23. The Quakes will then return to California to face LAFC at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 27.
Wednesday's match, presented by City of San Jose, is set for 6:00 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on NBC Sports California Plus, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF. Sunday's game, presented by Devcon, is slated for 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on NBC Sports California, KNBR 680 and 1370 KZSF.
LAST GAME VS. PORTLAND TIMBERS (9/19)
The Quakes now hold a 4-2-1 record in their last seven home matches against the Timbers.
First MLS Goal
Midfielder Carlos Fierro scored the first goal of his MLS career.
100th MLS Appearance
Defender Florian Jungwirth made his 100th MLS appearance.
Start + Assist
Midfielder Eric Calvillo made his first start of the season, tallying his first MLS assist.
Midfielder Jack Skahan made his MLS debut, entering as a substitute in the 79th minute.
LAST GAME VS. PORTLAND TIMBERS (9/16)
Finding the Net
Vako scored his third goal of the season and 26th of his MLS career.
Chris Wondolowski tallied the assist on Vako's goal, his first assist of the season and 42nd of his MLS career.
Eighteen-year-old Homegrown defender Jacob Akanyirige made his MLS debut, starting and playing 69 minutes.
Trust in the Youth
Homegrown goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski made his first appearance of the season, starting and playing 90 minutes. It marked his first MLS appearance since Oct. 28, 2018.
NEXT GAME VS. COLORADO RAPIDS (9/23)
San Jose and Colorado enter Wednesday's match with identical 2-2-2 records in their last six meetings.
Closing in on History
Shea Salinas is just one assist shy of tying Ronald Cerritos for most in club history (47).
Top of the List
Forward Chris Wondolowski has scored 12 career goals against the Rapids, most of any player in the series history. He most recently tallied a goal in their previous match against the Rapids at Earthquakes Stadium on Sept. 5.
Breaking the Streak
The Quakes will look for their first road victory of the regular season and first at Dick's Sporting Goods Park since June 15, 2013.
Out of State
With the exception of the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando earlier this summer, Wednesday's match will mark the Quakes' second season match outside of California.
NEXT GAME VS. LAFC (9/27)
Seeking First Win
San Jose will be seeking their first-ever victory against LAFC on Sunday. The Quakes are currently 0-5-0 against the SoCal side in MLS play.
Scoring against the Opponent
Chris Wondolowski has scored twice against LAFC, tied for fourth most in MLS history against the third-year club.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza tallied an assist on forward Danny Hoesen's goal in their last match against LAFC on Sept. 2. He currently leads the team on assists this season.
Closing the Gap
San Jose (11 pts.) are only four points behind LAFC (15 pts.) in the Western Conference.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC topped Portland Timbers 2 with a 5-2 home win last Sunday, behind a brace from Christiano François, and a pair of assists each from Sergio Rivas and Younes Boudadi. The win marked Reno's seventh straight game without a loss, tied for the third-most in club history.
The win moves Reno to a 10-2-1 record this season, and adds to the club's lead on Sacramento Republic FC for the top spot in Group A.
Earlier in the week, Reno clinched the club's fourth straight appearance in the USL Championship playoffs in the 3-2 win over Tacoma last Thursday. Reno would take the 1-0 lead into halftime with a goal from midfielder Christiano François, before midfielder Emilio Ycaza and forward Foster Langsdorf stepped up to helped Reno take the win. Langsdorf's goal was his seventh of the season and marked his sixth-straight game with a goal, tying a club record.
Reno will now prepare to host Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday, Sept. 26 for the fourth and final matchup between the top teams in Group A. The match is slated for 6:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 21, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Announces Theme Nights for Remaining Home Matches in September - Los Angeles FC
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego ValeriVoted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids vs San Jose Earthquakes: Keys to the Match: September 23, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- By the Numbers: Aiming for a New Club Record - Orlando City SC
- Lions Continue to Climb the Table - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Undeterred After Loss to Eastern Conference Leaders Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo Transfer Alberth Elis to Boavista FC in Portugal - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Lion's Share Hospitality to bring Exciting Food and Beverage Options to FC Cincinnati Fans - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 23, 2020
- Quakes eliminated after forcing No. 1 seed to penalty kicks
- Earthquakes Face Sporting KC Today in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Earthquakes Announce Extended Partnership with PG&E and the PG&E Corporation Foundation
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2020