Earthquakes Weekly Update: February 24, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes are set to take on Toronto FC in the 2020 season opener, presented by Intermedia. The season will begin at Earthquakes Stadium on Saturday Feb. 29 (2:15 p.m. PT), with 7,000 fans receiving a Matias Almeyda bobblehead. Tickets are available here.
The Quakes will also host numerous community initiatives leading into the home opener, including autograph sessions, scavenger hunts and more. More information can be found below.
IN THE COMMUNITY
Monday, Feb. 24
FLAG RAISING (5:30 P.M.) - Earthquakes Chief Operating Officer Jared Shawlee will visit Downtown San Jose, where he will be speaking prior to the San Jose flag-raising ceremony at City Hall. This event is free and open to the public. The event will follow with a happy hour after the ceremony at 4th Street Pizza starting at 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 25
CITY PROCLAMATION (1:30 P.M.) - The Quakes will be present at San Jose's City Council Meeting for the proclamation of National Play Outside Day on March 7. The Quakes are ecstatic to proclaim a special day that highlights the importance of health and improving quality of life for children and adults in the City.
QUAKES HAPPY HOUR (4-6 P.M.) - The San Jose Earthquakes will host a happy hour at Meso in Santana Row, with Quakes midfielder Shea Salinas and goalkeeper Matt Bersano present. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Quakes Foundation for community initiatives, youth programming, and more.
FLY IT FRIDAYS - Throughout the 2020 season, Quakes staff will roam each home game's Neighborhood Night on Fridays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., looking for homes and businesses displaying Quakes flags for a chance to win awesome prizes, including Quakes home game tickets. Winners will be announced on the Friday of each home game week.
Wednesday, Feb. 26
VHP FREE PLAY DAY (4-6 P.M.) - The Quakes and Valley Health Plan are co-hosting a Free Play Day at East Valley YMCA. Kids ages 6-12 are invited to come out and play in no-pressure, non-coached scrimmages. Participants will be treated to an autograph session with Quakes defender Tommy Thompson and parents are welcome to stay and join in the conversation on youth health and wellness. For more information about Free Play Days, presented by Valley Health Plan, please click here .
CORN HOLE TOURNAMENT (6 P.M.) - The Quakes will be teaming up with Hapa's Brewing Company in San Jose for the Silicon Valley Corn Hole Association Tournament. Only the first 10 fans to arrive will be selected to compete in the tournament. Fans that RSVP will be eligible to win several prizes, including a 2020 jersey. Hapa's will be selling $5 beers to fans in Quakes gear. Fans interested in attending can RSVP here.
Thursday, Feb. 27
ALANIS MEET AND GREET (5 P.M.) - Earthquakes recent signing Oswaldo Alanis will be present for a player meet and greet at the Quakes Team Store, located next to the main gate of Earthquakes Stadium. This event will be free and open to the public.
WONDO TO DROP THE PUCK AT SHARKS GAME (7:30 P.M.) - Quakes forward Chris Wondolowski will drop the ceremonial first puck prior to the Sharks vs. New Jersey Devils game at SAP Center.
Friday, February 28
SAN PEDRO POP-UP LUNCH (11 A.M.-2 P.M.) - The Quakes will feature a lunch fest at San Pedro Square, where fans will be able to enjoy activations such as live juggling and purchase 10% off all Quakes merchandise from the Quakes trailer at the event. Brand Ambassadors will be around with special giveaways for fans present.
SCAVENGER HUNT (11 A.M. - 2 P.M.) - To close the week, the Quakes will launch a scavenger hunt around five random locations in San Jose, where fans will be able to win prizes, including Matias Almeyda Bobbleheads and 408 Edition jerseys. Winners' pictures will be featured on the Quakes Instagram Account.
Matias Almeyda's Second Season
2020 marks head coach Matias Almeyda's second season at the helm. The Argentine led San Jose to a nine-win improvement from 2018 to 2019.
Wondo's Final Season
Quakes forward Chris Wondolowski enters the final season of his career, which has seen him garner the MLS record for goals scored (159), game-winning goals (44) and goals for one team (155), among many others.
Success Opening at Home
The Earthquakes have won four of the five home openers at Earthquakes Stadium since the venue opened in 2015. The Quakes defeated Minnesota United FC in 2018, the Montreal Impact in 2017, the Colorado Rapids in 2016 and the Chicago Fire in 2015.
Undefeated at Home
The Quakes are undefeated in two prior matches against Toronto FC at Earthquakes Stadium. San Jose earned a 2-1 victory in 2016 despite playing nearly the entire second half with nine men. The two teams later tied 1-1 in 2018.
North of the Border
San Jose has only dropped two matches against Canadian teams at Earthquakes Stadium, currently holding a 5-2-4 record.
From the Ground Up
The Quakes enter 2020 with a club-record eight Homegrown players on the roster: Jacob Akanyirige, Cade Cowell, Gilbert Fuentes, Nick Lima, JT Marcinkowski, Emi Ochoa, Tommy Thompson and Casey Walls. Only four teams in MLS currently have more Homegrowns on their respective roster.
Consistency is Key
The Earthquakes are returning more than 95% of non-goalkeeper minutes from 2019. Returning players accounted for 32,168 minutes, while players no longer with the club totaled 1,483 minutes.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 24, 2020
- Six Days to Debut: DeLaGarza and Ulloa Look Forward to First MLS Match - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: February 24, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Join Nashville SC's Founding MLS Member Program Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- The Village Stand Sold out for Season Opener - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire General Allocation Money from Sporting Kansas City - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire FC Expand Spanish-Language Content Offering, Launch @VamosFire on Twitter - Chicago Fire
- Sporting Signs 18-Year-Old Goalkeeper John Pulskamp - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC Waives Defender Jonathan Dean - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Motagua - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Back for Season 3 - Los Angeles FC
- Your Home Jersey Is Here: Inter Miami CF Unveils Inaugural Home Jersey - Inter Miami CF
- Arriola Undergoes Successful Surgery to Repair ACL - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Argentine Midfielder Gaston Gimenez as Designated Player - Chicago Fire
- Vanderbilt Health Joins Nashville Soccer Club as Exclusive Health Care Provider - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes to Donate More Than $21,000 to Help Feed East San Jose Youth Impacted by COVID-19
- Classic Earthquakes Matches to Air on NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports California
- Events at Earthquakes Stadium to be Postponed Or Cancelled
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days
- Earthquakes Match on March 21 to be Postponed