Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 16, 2018
The San Jose Earthquakes will travel to the East Coast this week to take on Orlando City SC on Saturday, April 21 at 4:30 p.m. PT. Saturday's game will be broadcast live on NBC Sports California Plus, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
This past Saturday, the Quakes drew 2-2 with the Houston Dynamo at Avaya Stadium. Quakes Designated Player Magnus Eriksson scored his second consecutive MLS goal and first ever at Avaya Stadium. In his first appearance of the 2018 MLS regular season, Quakes midfielder Jahmir Hyka scored the game-tying goal to secure a point at home.
Earthquakes vs. Orlando City SC All-Time
MLS Regular Season: 0-0-3
Home: 0-0-2 (2 GF, 2 GA)
Away: 0-0-1 (2 GF, 2 GA)
All-Time Scoring: San Jose - 4, Orlando - 4
Last Game vs. Orlando
Earthquakes 1 - 1 Orlando City SC; May 17, 2017; Avaya Stadium, San Jose, CA
The San Jose Earthquakes secured a point at Avaya Stadium with a 1-1 tie against Orlando City SC. Carlos Rivas gave Orlando City SC the lead in the 80th minute, but the Quakes leveled the scoreline just three minutes later. One minute after entering the match as a substitute, Earthquakes homegrown midfielder Tommy Thompson provided the assist on forward Chris Wondolowski's. It marked Thompson's first career assist.
History of the Quakes - Orlando City Rivalry
The Earthquakes and Orlando City SC drew 1-1 at Levi's Stadium in their first-ever meeting in 2015 behind Chris Wondolowski's 100th career MLS goal ... The following year, the two sides drew their second encounter 2-2 after Shea Salinas scored in stoppage time to level the match at Camping World Stadium ... The Quakes earned a point at Avaya Stadium in their only meeting of the 2017 MLS season. Chris Wondolowski scored the game-tying goal off of Tommy Thompson's first MLS career assist.
Quakes Designated Player Magnus Eriksson has tallied a goal or an assist in the last four regular-season matches.
Breaking the Deadlock
In the three games that the Quakes and Orlando City have faced each other, neither side has won a match (0-0-3) and both teams have each scored four goals. The Quakes will look to take the lead on Saturday.
Twice as Effective
Since 2012, Chris Wondolowski has scored four goals when facing Dom Dwyer, who has only scored two against the Quakes.
Depth Pays Dividends
In the Quakes' last match, Jahmir Hyka came off the bench and scored the game tying goal against the Houston Dynamo to secure a point for the Quakes. Hyka's appearance was his first of the 2018 MLS regular-season.
Points from a Distance
With the Quakes' 1-1 tie in Philadelphia on April 7, San Jose has already earned as many points in the Eastern Time Zone in 2018 (0-0-1) as they did in six matches in 2017 (0-5-1). The Quakes will look to continue their undefeated streak against teams in the Eastern Conference this season.
The Quakes' last match against the Houston Dynamo marked the first time the Quakes featured a starting 11 under the age of 30 for the first time since Oct. 1, 1999.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2018
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 16, 2018 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Banc of California Stadium Opens with Culinary Collection of Los Angeles Favorites - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Travel to Face New York Red Bulls - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Is Two Games Away from the FIFA Club World Cup - MLS
- Knee Injury to Sideline Kelyn Rowe for One to Four Weeks - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Fines Portland Timbers Owner Merritt Paulson for Comments Regarding Officiating - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Name Associate Head Coach for Saskatchewan Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 15, 2018
- Earthquakes Shutout Liga MX Leaders Cruz Azul in Friendly
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jahmir Hyka Undergoes Surgery to Repair Facial Fractures
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 8, 2018
- Earthquakes Hire Matias Almeyda as Head Coach