Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 15, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes were defeated 2-1 by the Houston Dynamo in Saturday's road match at BBVA Compass Stadium. Quakes midfielder Jackson Yueill scored his first career MLS goal, sending a curling effort just inside the far post.
In celebration of Earth Day, the Quakes will wear special adidas x Parley eco-friendly kits when they host Sporting Kansas City at Avaya Stadium on Saturday, April 20. Saturday's match, presented by the City of San Jose Environmental Services Department, is set for 6:45 p.m. and will be broadcast on NBC Sports California, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF. Tickets for the match can be purchased here.
First Career Goal
Earthquakes midfielder Jackson Yueill scored the first goal of his MLS career in Saturday's match against the Houston Dynamo. The Bloomington, Minnesota native received a pass from Shea Salinas and scored a curling effort from outside the box in the 56th minute (watch).
After his most recent start in Houston, academy product Tommy Thompson is just one appearance away from 100 in Major League Soccer.
No Place Like Home
The Earthquakes hold a commanding 16-6-7 all-time record at home against Sporting Kansas City in regular season play. San Jose has a 2-2-1 record against SKC at Avaya Stadium.
Denying Sporting KC
The San Jose Earthquakes have shutout Sporting Kansas City the most of any club in MLS history, keeping their longtime foe off the board 21 times.
Earthquakes to Host 10th Annual Corporate Cup on July 20
The San Jose Earthquakes will host their 10th annual Corporate Cup on Saturday, July 20 at Stanton Field on the campus of Santa Clara University.
MLS Announces Time Change for Quakes at NYCFC on Sept. 14
Major League Soccer announced the regular season matchup between the San Jose Earthquakes and New York City FC will now kick off at 9:30 a.m. PT instead of the originally scheduled 4 p.m. PT.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC earned its first away victory of 2019 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Saturday evening. Saturday's victory at Weidner Field marked Reno's first-ever win against Colorado. Goals in the second half by midfielder Seth Casiple and forward Brian Brown, along with a clean-sheet performance by Quakes goalkeeper Matt Bersano, secured Reno's first shutout win (2-0) in 2019.
The San Jose Earthquakes U-17 squad are competing in the Generation adidas Cup in Frisco, Texas. The U-17s are 1-2-0 after three matches played. Quakes Homegrown midfielder Gilbert Fuentes scored on a volley in the U-17s 2-1 defeat to Denmark's FC Midtjylland on Monday.
Looking ahead to day three of Generation adidas Cup, San Jose currently sit in third place in their group. The U-17s face Orlando City SC tomorrow, April 16 at 7 a.m. PT, and the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday, April 17 at 8:45 a.m. PT.
The U-13s and the U-14s were also in action this past weekend. Both teams routed their respective San Joaquin Valley Soccer Association opponents by a score of 11-0. Jermaine Spivey (U-13s) and Martin Kwende Jr. (U-14s) each contributed four goals for their respective teams.
Over the weekend, the Girls' Academy put up a collective score of 10-0 against Placer United Soccer Club. The U-14s defeated their opponent 1-0, the U-15s won 5-0, and the U-17s recorded a 4-0 victory.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 15, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 15, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Tomas MartÃnez Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Takes Part in MLS Works Week of Service - Montreal Impact
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC to Open Full Stadium Capacity for Four Matches in 2019 MLS Regular Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 15, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Managing Nani's Workload a Key for City's Success - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 15, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC to Host Bronx Borough Night on Wednesday, April 24 - New York City FC
- Busio Strikes Late as Sporting Snares 2-2 Draw vs. Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week
- Chris Wondolowski scores four goals to break all-time MLS record
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Breaks All-Time MLS Goals Record
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 13, 2019