Earthquakes Sign Veteran Goalkeeper Daniel Vega
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has signed veteran goalkeeper Daniel Vega. He comes to San Jose with experience from his native Argentina, Cyprus and the United States. Vega speaks both English and Spanish.
"Daniel is an experienced goalkeeper that has proven to be very trustworthy for his clubs," said Earthquakes head coach Matias Almeyda. "I'm excited that he'll be a part of our team."
Vega, 34, began his professional career in 2004 with Argentina's Nueva Chicago, where he played for three years before signing with powerhouse River Plate. Vega remained with River Plate from 2007-13, making 76 appearances.
"We are excited that Daniel is joining us," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli. "He is a goalkeeper with great qualities on and off the field and will provide guidance and leadership for our younger players."
In September 2013, Vega moved to Europe to compete for Anorthosis in Cyprus, where he helped them finish top-six every season during his three-year stint with the club.
Vega moved state-side in January 2016, signing with Miami FC of the North American Soccer League (NASL) ahead of their inaugural campaign. After a difficult 2016 Spring season, Vega led a resurgence during the Fall season in which Miami FC finished fifth with a 9-7-6 record. He played every minute of the 32-game season.
Vega's consistency and durability in net led to success for Miami FC in 2017. The second-year club won both the Spring and Fall seasons with a combined 21-5-6 record, allowing a league-low 28 goals in 32 games (0.88 per game) and recording 15 shutouts. Miami was eliminated in the postseason on penalty kicks by the New York Cosmos despite a shutout by Vega, who claimed the league's Golden Glove Award that season.
After the 2018 NASL season was canceled, Miami FC competed in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) as Miami FC 2. The club won their conference with an 8-1-3 record, seeing Vega concede just five goals in 12 games. Miami FC 2 then won five consecutive playoff games en route to claiming the national championship.
Vega signed with the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the United Soccer League (USL) in August, ultimately making 33 saves in 10 appearances during the second half of the season.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes sign GK Daniel Vega.
Weight: 200 lbs.
Born: June 3, 1984
Preferred Foot: Right
Hometown: Cutral Có, Neuquén, Argentina
Last Club: Tampa Bay Rowdies (USL)
Roster Designation: International
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2019
- LAFC Announces Time Change for 2019 Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Sign Veteran Goalkeeper Daniel Vega - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Add Nick Dasovic to Technical Staff as U-23 Development Squad Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- David Guzman, Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for International Match against United States - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Match at Colorado Rapids Rescheduled to September 11 - LA Galaxy
- New York City FC Announces Preseason in Abu Dhabi - New York City FC
- Timbers Acquire Slovenian Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Costa Rica National Team Midfielder Allan Cruz - FC Cincinnati
- Kickoff for FC Dallas' March 23rd Match against Colorado Moved to 3:30PM CT - FC Dallas
- Impact Returns to the Rowdies Suncoast Invitational in February - Montreal Impact
- New England Revolution Sign Academy Product Justin Rennicks - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati to Play D.C. United in Preseason at IMG Academy - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Add Rowdies Suncoast Invitational, Two Other Preseason Matches to Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Canadian International Centre Back Derek Cornelius - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Brazilian Midfielder Robinho from Ceara Sporting Club of Brazil's First Division - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Single-Match Tickets to Go on Sale January 23 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 11, 2019
- Earthquakes Sign 14-Year-Old Goalkeeper Emmanuel Ochoa as Homegrown Player
- Earthquakes to Offer Military Discount on 2020 Season Tickets
- Earthquakes Sign Defender Casey Walls as Homegrown Player