Earthquakes Knock off English Premier League's Norwich City FC 1-0
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes knocked off Norwich City FC of the English Premier League 1-0 in an international friendly at Buck Shaw Stadium on Saturday.
Trinidadian winger Cordell Cato scored the game's only goal in the seventh minute, stealing a Norwich City FC pass intended for goalkeeper Mark Bunn before slotting a shot past the charging net minder. Meanwhile, on the defensive side of the field, San Jose rose to the occasion by limiting the Canaries to four shots and only two on goal.
The win improved San Jose to 2-0-3 all-time in international friendlies against teams from the Premiership. The Earthquakes are also unbeaten at Buck Shaw Stadium in exhibitions with a 4-0-3 mark since moving into the facility in 2008.
San Jose were the more dangerous team over 90 minutes, out-shooting their guests 10-4 while looking especially threatening in the second half.
The Earthquakes created a quality chance midway through the second half with goalkeeper David Bingham initiating the action. Bingham dropkicked the ball 70 yards downfield where Sam Garza turned his defender and found himself alone on the right side of the box. Garza waited for his strike partner, Marcus Tracy, to run onto the play and sent a cross toward the near post. The ball found Tracy, but the lanky target man couldn't quite redirect the ball on target.
Adam Jahn had a golden chance to double San Jose's lead in the 75th minute. Shea Salinas found Garza in space on the left, sending a weighted pass that found the young attacker in stride. Garza one-timed his cross, locating Jahn at the near post for a volleyed attempt, but veteran Canary goalkeeper John Ruddy made a diving save to prevent the goal.
The Earthquakes return to action on Saturday, July 27 against the Portland Timbers at Buck Shaw Stadium. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet California, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 21, 2013
- Midfielder Meleana Shim Tallies Late Game-Winning Goal for Thorns - Portland Timbers
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 2 vs. Colorado Rapids 3 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Purdy & El Salvador Eliminated from Gold Cup - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Gyasi Zardes Hopes Highlight-Reel Goal in Win over Whitecaps FC Starts Scoring Streak - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Camilo opens scoring but Galaxy fight back - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- U18s wins 3-1 - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Earns Dramatic 2-1 Win at Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Real Salt Lake Loses 2-1 to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: Homegrown Forwards Score as LA Galaxy Comeback - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy win 2-1 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Earn Ninth Shutout in 0-0 Road Draw with Union - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Knock off English Premier League's Norwich City FC 1-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Burn D.C. United with 4-1 Victory - Chicago Fire
- Crew Loses Heartbreaker to Revolution - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.