Early Offense Locks up Series for Missions
San Antonio did most of its damage in the early innings en route to a 7-3, series-clinching win over Corpus Christi Wednesday night at Wolff Stadium.
No surprising the game's first run came courtesy of Franmil Reyes . The designated hitter gave the Missions a 1-0 lead in the second with a sacrifice fly to right off lefty Framber Valdez . Alberth Martinez pushed the lead to two when he led off the third with a solo homer onto the berm in left. It was Martinez's ninth dinger of the season.
San Antonio broke the contest open in the fourth with a four-run rally against Valdez (4-3). The inning began with singles by Ty France and Noah Perio and a Reyes walk to load the bases. That brought up Nick Torres, who drove in a pair with a single to center. Martinez followed with a two-run double down the left-field line to cap the rally and grow the Missions' lead to 6-0.
The Hooks drew five walks in five innings against southpaw Eric Lauer, but could not plate a run. Lauer (3-2) allowed just two hits to avoid trouble, while striking out five.
Corpus Christi finally got on the board in the sixth against reliever Eric Yardley courtesy of an error and a Jason Martin RBI-infield single.
Catcher Stephen McGee upped the San Antonio lead to 7-2 in the seventh with a solo shot to left off Ralph Garza . The Hooks capped scoring in the eighth off reliever Brad Wieck with another Martin RBI-single.
The Missions had another well-balanced offensive night, with eight of nine starters picking up a hit, headlined by Martinez, who finished 3-for-3.
San Antonio (23-16, 64-45) wraps up its three-game series with Corpus Christi (18-21, 52-57) Wednesday at 7:05 PM. Cal Quantrill (0-2, 4.08) will get the ball for the Missions, while the Hooks counter with fellow righty Cy Sneed (8-5, 5.17).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 2, 2017
- Early Offense Locks up Series for Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Martinez Leads Well-Balanced Offense as San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- Offense Erupts as Naturals Even the Series - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Missions-Drillers Series Finale Postponed Due to Unplayable Conditions
- Tulsa Shuts Down San Antonio on Star Wars Night
- Missions Drop Series Opener Despite Racking up a Season-High 17 Strikeouts
- Cards Hold off Chanclas in the Ninth to Take Series
- Scholtens Dominates Cards to Even Series