Early Hole Sinks Bruins, Fall to Aberdeen 6-2
ABERDEEN, SD - The Austin Bruins couldn't overcome a four-goal deficit suffered in the first period and ultimately fell to the Aberdeen Wings 6-2 during Game 2 of the NAHL Robertson Cup Playoffs opening round.
It didn't take long for Aberdeen to find the back of the net when only 21 seconds into the game, a bouncing puck hopped off a body in over the shoulder of Kyle McClellan. Jonathan Bendorf was credited with the goal, and less than a minute into the game, Aberdeen had their first goal of the night. Already ahead 1-0, Aberdeen added three more tallies in the opening frame. Nic Sicoly, Brad Belisle, and Stepan Pokorny all notched goals for the Wings who cruised to an early 4-0 lead after one period of play.
In the second, it took a little bit of warming up for the Bruins but they owned the period. Jared Christy got the scoring started for Austin when he buried home a rebound from a Devon Fields point-shot. Trailing in the game, 4-1, Austin battled back to cut the lead in half when Dante Sheriff found Kyle Herbster wide-open in the slot and heading into the locker rooms after two, the Bruins carried the momentum, though still down 4-2.
In the third period, Austin wasn't able to capitalize on any of the chances while Aberdeen potted two empty-net goals in the last two minutes of play to secure the victory. With the loss, the Bruins trail the Aberdeen wings by two games in the best of five series.
The two teams will meet at Riverside Arena for Game 3 on Friday, April 19th. Tickets for Friday night's game and Saturday's Game 4 (if necessary) go on sale at all the Bruins vendors including Games People Play, Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace, on Monday, April 15.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- IceRays Win in Overtime to Grab 2-0 Series Lead - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Take Down the Brahmas - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Early Hole Sinks Bruins, Fall to Aberdeen 6-2 - Austin Bruins
- Generals Tie Series with 4-3 Win - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Wings Take 1-0 Series Lead with 2-1 Win Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Bruins Show Spirited Effort But Bested by Aberdeen, 2-1 - Austin Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Bruins Season Comes to a Close with 3-1 Loss to Aberdeen
- Zapata's Two Goals Help Bruins Double up Aberdeen, 4-2, Force Game 4
- Captain Lane Krenzen Commits to University of Denver
- Bruins Leading Scorer Sheriff Commits to Mercyhurst University
- Early Hole Sinks Bruins, Fall to Aberdeen 6-2