Early 'Birds Barrage Leads to Another Win
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds raced out ahead early and hung on late, surviving with a 7-6 win over the Gwinnett Stripers (Triple-A affiliate, Atlanta Braves) on a muggy July night in Memphis. The 'Birds have now won 17 of their last 18 games.
Miles Mikolas looked sharp in his rehab start. The righthander tossed four scoreless frames, allowing just three hits while striking out two and walking one. Mikolas continued a truly phenomenal string of starting pitching success for Memphis (38-37) recently. In the last ten games, the 'Birds starters have allowed exactly one earned run in 36.0 innings.
Memphis batters gave the pitching staff plenty of early run support. They pounded out seven runs on nine hits in the first four innings, highlighted by more magic from Juan Yepez and Clint Coulter. Yepez's two-run home run in the bottom of the 1st was his third in the past two games and his sixth in the past seven games. Coulter has performed his best at AutoZone Park this season. The former first-round pick has hit five of his seven homers this season in Memphis.
For the second straight night, Gwinnett (38-37) battled back late in the game. The Stripers scored three times in the sixth, twice in the seventh, and one more time in the eighth to make it 7-6 entering the ninth. William Contreras smacked a two-run homer in the sixth, Johan Camargo had RBI singles in the seventh and eighth and Drew Waters scored runs in the seventh and eighth en route to a 4-5 night at the plate.
Kodi Whitley came out of the bullpen to get the final out of the eighth and clinched the victory with a scoreless ninth. The Stripers certainly had their chances late in the game. They left a combined seven runners on base in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings. Gwinnett left a combined 12 runners on base for the entire game.
The Memphis Redbirds are the proud Triple-A Affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Memphis has claimed four League Championships and one Triple-A National Championship since their affiliation with St. Louis began in 1998. For the latest team news, follow the Redbirds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Ticket information can be found at memphisredbirds.com/tickets.
Friday, July 30 vs. Gwinnett (7:10 p.m. CT)
- Redbirds Probable Starter: LHP Zack Thompson
- Stripers Probable Starter: RHP Nolan Kingham
Listen: MiLB First Pitch App
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 29, 2021
- Indians Lose in Walk-Off Fashion, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Iowa Shuts out Louisville in 2-0 Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Bases Loaded Walk in 10th Provides Saints with 3-2 Walk-Off Win - St. Paul Saints
- Sounds Power Past Clippers at First Horizon Park - Nashville Sounds
- Early 'Birds Barrage Leads to Another Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Rodriguez Homer Not Enough in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Jacksonville Splits Doubleheader with Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Castellano's Grand Slam Highlights Five-Run Fifth in Omaha Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Herrera Homers Bisons to DH Split in Worchester - Buffalo Bisons
- WooSox and Bisons Split Offense-Filled Doubleheader - Worcester Red Sox
- Josh Walker Takes No-Hitter to Eighth, But Mets Fall to RailRiders, 3-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Rally with Ninth-Inning Homers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-38) at St. Paul Saints (39-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- July 29 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Louisville - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 29, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Ripken, Neustrom Continue Hot Streaks, But Tides Fall 8-2 Thursday - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Blast Tides 8-2, Earn 50th Victory of 2021 - Durham Bulls
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights August 3-8 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 29, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Duel of the Dishes Set for August 5 - Rochester Red Wings
- Wings, 'Pigs Postponed Thursday; Doubleheader Set for Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings, IronPigs Postponed Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Refsnyder Homers, Hands Indy 10-5 Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Pratto's Slam, Olivares' Ninth-Inning Homer, Help Chasers Out-Slug Mud Hens - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Hens Drop Wild Back-And-Forth Game to Chasers - Toledo Mud Hens
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.