Duran Homers, Yankees Take Series over Rays
PRINCETON, Wv - Ezequiel Duran homered in a six-run first inning, and Luis Medina went five innings and earned the win in a 9-3 Pulaski Yankees win over the Princeton Rays on Wednesday night.
Following an hour rain delay, the Yanks were off and running with six runs on five hits in the opening frame. After Evan Alexander and Anthony Seigler reached base, Ezequiel Duran blasted a three-run homer to left field to give his club an early 3-0 lead. Later in the inning, Carlos Tatis added a run with a RBI single to score Nelson Gomez. Tatis later scored on a balk by pitcher Wanderson Linares, and Robert Javier singled in Pulaski's sixth run, scoring Max Burt.
Wander Franco put Princeton on the board in the bottom half of the first with a RBI knock to drive in Jake Palomaki. The Rays cut their deficit to three after scoring a pair in the fourth inning off Luis Medina. Franco led off the inning with a walk and later scored on a wild pitch with Grant Witherspoon batting. Pedro Diaz scored the Rays' third and final run on a sacrifice fly credited to Jordyn Muffley.
Medina cruised through five innings and qualified for his first win of the season after allowing three total runs, all earned, on four hits, two walks and six strikeouts. Jhonatan Munoz entered in relief and was masterful going the remaining four innings and earned the save, allowing no runs on three hits, no walks and four strikeouts.
Pulaski provided breathing room with three more runs in the sixth to take a commanding 9-3 lead and round out the scoring. Evan Alexander tallied his team-leading fifth triple of the season scoring Jordan Scott and Everson Pereira. Alexander later scored on a RBI single by Anthony Seigler.
The Pulaski Yankees improved to 22-26 on the season with the victory, and marked the team's second straight series win over an Appalachian League division-leading opponent. The Yankees begin a three-game set tomorrow on the road against the Burlington Royals.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 8, 2018
- Duran Homers, Yankees Take Series over Rays - Pulaski Yankees
- Mejia Pitches Gem, D-Braves Win Fifth Straight Series - Danville Braves
- Cardinals Win Game Three against Pirates - Johnson City Cardinals
- Pulaski Yankees Add Live Cow Raffle to Agriculture Night Promotion - Pulaski Yankees
- Pen Stumbles in Pirates Loss - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pulaski Yankees Stories
- Pulaski Yankees Set Game Times for 2019 Season
- Pulaski Yankees Announce 2019 Coaching Staff
- Pulaski Yankees Introduce Small Business Advertising Package
- Pulaski Yankees Add James Cahilellis as Assistant General Manager
- Pulaski Yankees Announce Pinstripe Pals Kids Club for 2019 Season