Dubuque's Comeback Bid Falls Short, Gamblers Win 4-3
Mason Lohrei scored the game winner on the power play just past the midway mark of the third period and Green Bay staved off the Fighting Saints comeback effort during a 4-3 victory on Saturday night. The win snapped a six-game winning streak for the Saints and gave the Gamblers their first win over Dubuque this season.
-Green Bay hopped on the Saints immediately, scoring three times in the opening period. A night after a few bounces didn't go their way, the Gamblers got a couple in the first period. They largely controlled play, creating good chances off turnovers.
-Dubuque pushed back nicely in the second period, scoring twice to trim the deficit to just one goal. Riese Gaber assisted on both goals as Matthew Kopperud and Antonio Venuto started the rally for the Saints.
-Dubuque would climb even during the early stages of the third period as Riese Gaber scored his 29th of the season to tie things up. Dubuque entered the third period trailing for just the seventh time all season.
-Green Bay used their fifth power play of the night to take the lead for good. Lohrei's point shot hit a Fighting Saints player in front and trickled past Aidan McCarthy.
-Dubuque once again generated multiple chances during the final 10 minutes of regulation but couldn't get anything else past Gavin Enright. The Green Bay goalie made 34 stops on the evening.
-The loss was the 10th in regulation this season for Dubuque as they still maintain a solid lead on second place in the East. With the win, Green Bay moves just two points behind Team USA, who sits in third with 45 points.
-The Gamblers continue to play quality hockey and they are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games. Despite a multitude of injuries, the Gamblers have played some of their best hockey over the last month and are looking at a quality finish to the season in the Eastern Conference standings.
-For Dubuque, the next stop is Michigan. The Saints head to Plymouth for a Thursday bout against Team USA, before continuing on to Muskegon for two against the Lumberjacks. It will be Dubuque's third three in three since the winter break ended.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2020
- Gamblers Fight off the Saints and Win 4-3 - Green Bay Gamblers
- Storm Defeat Capitols 5-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks Clinch CR Series - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Wiener Dogs Top Buccaneers Before Capacity Crowd - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Stars Sweep Musketeers in Weekend Series with 3-1 Victory - Lincoln Stars
- Dubuque's Comeback Bid Falls Short, Gamblers Win 4-3 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Phantoms Use Explosive Second Period to Top Muskegon 5-4 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Tri-City Storms Past Madison, 5-2 - Madison Capitols
- Pitlick Scores Early But Jacks Fall on Road for Second Night to Youngstown - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Preview: Storm Back in Action for Weekend Series against Madison - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.