Drury Wins USHL Forward of the Week Award
Waterloo, Iowa-Waterloo Black Hawks forward Jack Drury is on one of the most remarkable offensive runs in United States Hockey League history, and Monday, he was recognized as the USHL Forward of the Week.
The Hawks played three games which counted toward the honor. Last Tuesday against the Chicago Steel, the 18-year-old fired in a game-tying power play goal midway through the third period, allowing Waterloo to later notch the game-winner with just over a minute remaining. Drury contributed to more dramatics Friday in Green Bay, winning a faceoff in the closing seconds of overtime that was summarily followed by Jackson Cates' decisive score. Saturday versus the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, Drury scored the game-winning goal himself as part of a two-goal game.
The Harvard recruit has been particularly adept on the power play, on which he has recorded 22 of his 40 points during 2017/18. With 15 goals and 25 assists, Drury is second only to Cates in team scoring and ranks seventh overall in USHL points.
The second period tip-in Saturday versus the RoughRiders gave Drury 22 consecutive appearances with either a goal or an assist. During the 16 years in which the USHL has been designated as a Tier I league by USA Hockey, no player has owned a longer streak. The next milestone in his sights are the 25-game point streaks amassed by Greg Johnson (Thunder Bay Flyers, 1988/89) and Mike Lephard (Omaha Lancers, 1996/97), the longest known runs since the USHL adopted an all-junior player format in 1979/80.
Drury is the sixth different Waterloo player to win a USHL weekly award this season. The group includes fellow veteran forwards Cates and Ethan Johnson.
Waterloo's next games are on the road against the Youngstown Phantoms this Friday and Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2018
- Stars Weekly - Lincoln Stars
- Zhukov Named USHL Goaltender of the Week - Green Bay Gamblers
- Stampede's St. Ivany Named Defenseman of the Week - Sioux Falls Stampede
- USHL Names Players of the Week - Week 19 - USHL
- Drury Wins USHL Forward of the Week Award - Waterloo Black Hawks
- RoughRiders Head Coach Mark Carlson Nears 600 Wins - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Jacks Offering BOGO Tickets for Valentine's Day Game - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stars Launch the Lincoln Stars Foundation - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.