Drive Game Story (): Tourists Sneak Past Drive 6-5 on Friday
Tourists Sneak Past Drive 6-5 on Friday
Madera homers for Greenville in two-hit night
Greenville, SC - After a big start early in Friday's contest at Fluor Field, it was a run late that propelled the Asheville Tourists to a 6-5 victory over the Greenville Drive.
With the score tied at five in the eighth, Vince Fernandez cracked a two-out triple off the wall in center, and he came in with the go-ahead run when Hildemaro Requena (2-1) uncorked a wild pitch.
The Tourists (18-22) got going in a hurry against Drive (26-14) starter Logan Boyd, as the first five batters in the inning all reached base and scored. Colton Welker, Willie Abreu and Luis Castro all delivered RBI singles in the frame, while a wild pitch and a steal of home plated the other two runs for Asheville.
Boyd settled in nicely from there, as he allowed just one baserunner over the next six innings, retiring 17 of 18 hitters, while holding the Tourists hitless in that span.
The Drive slowly crawled back into the game, as an RBI double by Mitchell Gunsolus in the second got Greenville on the board.
Chris Madera then led off the third with a solo homer over the Green Monster in left-center for his second long ball of the season.
Two more runs came home in the fifth when C.J. Chatham grounded a two-run single up the middle for his first hit since joining the Drive earlier in the afternoon.
Madera played a crucial role in the Drive tying the game in the seventh, as he led off the frame with a bunt single. Santiago Espinal grounded out to third base on a hit-and-run, but Madera alertly took third with the base unoccupied, and he came in to tie the game when Asheville's throw to third base got away.
Matt Dennis (2-0) recorded the win for Asheville, and J.D. Hammer pitched a perfect ninth to earn his second save.
Gunsolus and Madera each collected two hits for Greenville on the night.
Saturday's game at Fluor Field will begin at 7:05 PM. Left-hander Darwinzon Hernandez (2-1, 2.45) takes the ball for the Drive, and the Tourists will counter with right-hander Alejandro Requena (1-1, 1.45).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 19, 2017
- Drive Game Story (): Tourists Sneak Past Drive 6-5 on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Start Hot, Finish Strong in 6-5 Win - Asheville Tourists
- WV Power Game Report - 5=2F18=2F17 - COL 3 WVP 2 (10) - West Virginia Power
- RECAP: Corredor Plates Five in 11-8 Win over Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Walk-Off on Wild Pitch - Columbia Fireflies
- GAME RECAP: HIC 6, KAN 4: Dopico Spins Scoreless - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Augusta Cracks Open Scoreless Tie to Top RiverDogs, 9-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Off Day Attitude Bleeds into Double-Header - Asheville Tourists
- Early Smash Propels 'Hoppers Past Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.