Drive Blank Ironbirds, 4-0
Aberdeen, M.D. - Jaxx Groshans belted a two-run clout to help the offense build an early lead while four Drive pitchers combined for a three-hit shutout for a 4-0 win over Aberdeen Wednesday night at Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium.
It's the 10th shutout for Greenville this season.
The offense combined for six hits, two doubles, a triple and homer. Groshans' two-run homer was his fourth on the year. Joe Davis tallied the only multi-hit performance with a single and double while also driving in one. Nick Yorke also doubled and drove in a run.
Dylan Spacke picked up the win after pitching 3.0 innings in relief. He relented no hits and one walk with four strikeouts. Brian Van Belle started his second game since returning from the IL. The right also tossed 3.0 shutout innings and surrendered one hit and fanned four.
Jake Wallace allowed one hit over 2.0 innings with four strikeouts while Zach Bryant pitched the ninth. He fanned two and yielded a hit.
Connor Leoprich took the loss as he allowed all four runs over 5.0 innings.
Greenville got the bats going early with three runs in the second inning. Davis singled to begin the inning. After a strikeout, Groshans smacked a two-run homer. Esplin then singled right after the Groshans clout. Following another strikeout, Yorke skied a ball behind the second base that bounced in for an RBI double.
The Drive added another run the ensuing frame. Tyler Dearden walked to lead off and advanced to third on two wild pitches. Two batters later, Davis smashed a n RBI double to make it 4-0.
Game three is set for 7:05 at Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium. The Drive are scheduled to throw Brandon Walter while the Ironbirds are slated to start Jake Prizina.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Brooklyn Hits Three Homers, But Falls 4-3 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Big Night for De La Cruz in 4-3 Wednesday Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Drive Blank Ironbirds, 4-0 - Greenville Drive
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Rome Braves
- Hot Rods Reveal 2022 Schedule - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Blue Rocks Release 2022 Season Schedule - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Tourists Put Dash Away 10-1 in Game Two - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hot Rods and Blue Rocks Canceled on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Tourists Open Road Trip with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 15) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hoppers Win at Hudson Valley, Pull One Win Away from Postseason Berth - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hoppers Push Gades to Brink - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Wilmington Rocks Bowling Green in 10-0 Shutout Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.