Drillers Fall to Travelers Again
TULSA - The Tulsa Drillers were unable to get anything going offensively on Saturday night in a 6-0 defeat to the Arkansas Travelers. The Drillers were limited to just 6 hits and struck out 16 times in the game, matching their season high.
Arkansas has been a nemesis for Tulsa all year. The loss leaves the Drillers with an 8-17 record against the Travelers this season.
The game started off well for Drillers starter J.D. Martin, as he set down the first six Arkansas hitters he faced. The Travs finally broke through in the top of the fourth to break the scoreless tie. After a pair of singles put runners on first and third, Logan Taylor put gave Arkansas a 1-0 lead with a sacrifice fly.
Things quickly went south for Martin and the Drillers in the top of the fifth. After a walk, a single and a sacrifice fly, Evan White cleared the bases with a two-run homer that just cleared the wall in left field. Martin then allowed a walk and a double, before uncorking a wild pitch that plated another run for Arkansas, capping a four-run inning that put the Travs in front 5-0.
Taylor gave the Travs their sixth and final run of the night with a solo home run in the eighth.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*Zach McKinstry stayed hot with a double in the bottom of the third. The infielder has now hit safely in eight of his last nine games, and is hitting .359 in that stretch.
*With a pair of singles, Cristian Santana was the only Driller to have a multi-hit night.
*The two teams combined for 26 strikeouts in the game.
*Prior to the game, the Drillers announced a roster move that sent Michael Boyle to the temporary inactive list, and added Yordy Cabrera from the Los Angeles Dodgers extended spring training roster.
*Cabrera was quickly called into action, entering Saturday's game in the fifth inning. He was fantastic in his first game back, allowing only a single while striking out four in 2.1 innings out of the bullpen.
*Saturday's result lowered the Travelers magic number for clinching the first-half North Division title to one. A Travelers win on Sunday would clinch the title.
UP NEXT: Arkansas at Tulsa, Sunday, June 9, 1:05 PM at ONEOK Field. RHP Andrew Moore (0-0, 3.09 ERA) vs. RHP Edwin Uceta (0-0, 5.40 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 8, 2019
- Shutout Puts Travs on Brink of 1st Half Title - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Overcome Early Deficit for 7-3 Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Lloyd Delivers as Soddies Fall to Hooks - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Milburn Delivers, Hounds Win Fifth Straight - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Fall to Travelers Again - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Stay Hot; Defeat Cardinals to Win Series - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Phillips Bounces Back in Close Loss - Frisco RoughRiders
- Joe Palumbo Scheduled to Make Major League Debut with Rangers Today - Frisco RoughRiders
- Walton's Big Night Pushes Travs to DH Sweep - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Take Friday Doubleheader from Cardinals - Springfield Cardinals
- White Walks It off for Fourth Straight Win - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.