Dragons Fall to Whitecaps in Next-to-Last Home Game of 2018
Dayton, Ohio-West Michigan's Jordan Pearce belted a two-run home run to break a 2-2 tie in the sixth inning and the Whitecaps held on to defeat the Dayton Dragons 4-2 on Thursday night. The game was the next-to-last home game for the Dragons. A crowd of 7,447 was in attendance at Fifth Third Field. The Dragons conclude their home schedule on Friday night.
The Dragons jumped out to an early lead in the first inning, getting three consecutive singles with one out from Jonathan India, Jeter Downs, and Hendrik Clementina, before Andy Sugilio delivered a sacrifice fly to bring in India and make it 1-0.
West Michigan scored two runs in the second before the Dragons tied the game in the third when India reached on an infield single, stole second, went to third on a single by Clementina, and scored on Sugilio's second sacrifice fly of the game to make it 2-2.
In the top of the sixth, Pearce homered down the right field line with a runner on base to break the tie. It was the sixth home run of the year for Pearce.
The Dragons did not have a hit after Clementina's third inning single until Jose Garcia led off the eighth with a single to extend his hitting streak to 14 straight games. Garcia was stranded at second in the inning, and the Dragons left runners at first and second in the ninth.
Dayton starting pitcher Mac Sceroler (2-6) was charged with the loss. He worked six innings, allowing four runs on five hits with three walks and a career high nine strikeouts. Dauri Moreta replaced Sceroler and tossed three scoreless innings. He allowed three hits but no walks and struck out three.
The Dragons finished with eight hits. India, Clementina, and Reshard Munroe each had two. Munroe had a double for the team's only extra base hit.
Up Next: The Dragons (25-41, 56-78) host West Michigan (31-34, 67-68) in the last game of the three-game series and final home game of the year for the Dragons on Friday night at 7:00. Patrick McGuff (2-5, 3.74) will start for Dayton against Carson Lance (0-3, 5.52). The Dragons close out their season with three games at Bowling Green Saturday through Monday.
For Dragons 2018 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
Game Broadcast: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE and on the internet at wone.com. Games are also available on the Dayton Dragons mobile app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Late Game Heroics Move Snappers Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Suwinski Extends Hot Streak, But TinCaps Fall - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Pull Away Late for 7-3 Win Over Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Despite Loss, Loons Clinch Playoff Berth - Great Lakes Loons
- De La Rosa, Pearce Propel 'Caps to Wildcard Tie - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big Inning Beats Burlington - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits strikeout 18 in LumberKings loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Clinch Winning Season - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall to Cougars 3-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Strike out 18 on Way to 7-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Smyly Dazzles in One Inning, But Cubs Downed by Bowling Green 4-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Fall to Whitecaps in Next-to-Last Home Game of 2018 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Even Series with 4-2 Win Over Cubs - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. Lake County (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Squandered Opportunities Haunt Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win, Stay in Playoff Position - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons to Conduct Auditions for Green Team, Mascot Performers, On-Field Hosts on November 2
- Dragons 2019 Attendance Ranks #9 Among 160 MiLB Teams
- Dragons President Robert Murphy Selected as Ballpark Digest Baseball Executive of the Year
- Dayton Dragons 2019 Season in Review
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale