Dogs' Late Rally Falls Short as KC Takes Game One
ROSEMONT, Ill. - Victor Roache and Jordan Dean homered, but the Chicago Dogs late rally fell just short as they bowed out to the Kansas City T-Bones, 8-6, on Monday night at Impact Field.
Jake Dahlberg (L, 2-2) struck out seven batters over 5.2 innings, but could not limit the T-Bones' high-octane offense. Carlos Zambrano contributed 2.1 shutout innings in relief, striking out three batters.
Newly-acquired Mitchell Kranson, who joined the Dogs earlier Monday, had a successful debut in Rosemont with two singles, a walk, and a run scored as the designated hitter.
The T-Bones got on the board first, courtesy of a two-run home run by Taylor Sparks in the top of the second.
Chicago responded with a big fly of its own in the bottom half of the frame. With one out, Victor Roache launched a solo shot, his sixth of the year, to cut the Dogs' deficit to one.
A run-scoring double play pushed the Kansas City lead back to two in the top of the third.
Kansas City continued its offensive effort with four runs over the next two innings. A sacrifice fly coupled with three consecutive doubles put KC back up by three. Later in the fifth, a two-run homer by Chris Colabello moved the visitors up 7-2.
Dean drew a bases loaded walk gets Dogs within 7-3 in the bottom of the fifth and Tony Rosselli ripped a two-out, two-run triple to get Chicago within two runs in the seventh.
Dean kept the Dogs' hopes alive by ending a 13-pitch at-bat with a solo shot in the ninth to make it 8-6. After Keon Barnum doubled, pinch-hitter Trey Vavra represented the tying run with two outs. T-Bones closer Nick Lee forced a groundout to secure the win.
LHP Austin Wright (1-4) will start game two tomorrow. First pitch is set for 11:35 AM.
Fans can tune in to The Chicago Dogs Baseball Network for a live broadcast of every Dogs game, with team broadcasters Sam Brief and Henrique DaMour on the call. Follow the team on social media - @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagramand Snapchat - and use the hashtag #TakeABite. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 25, 2019
- Milkmen Fall to RailCats in Extras - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Birds Continue Slump in Game Two against the RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Watch Lead Vanish in Ninth, Lose 6-3 to AirHogs - St. Paul Saints
- Heyer's Complete Game Gem Too Much for Gary to Overcome in 8-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Collier and Gillaspie Lead T-Bones to Third Straight Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Cleburne Adds Former Big Leaguer Brett - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs' Bats Struggle in Loss to Kansas City - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Bats Sizzle in Win over Chicago Dogs - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats Top Milkmen, 3-2, in 11 Innings in Inaugural Game at Routine Field - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs' Late Rally Falls Short as KC Takes Game One - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.