Dogs Fall to RedHawks in Rain-Shortened Affair
ROSEMONT, Ill. - Victor Roache extended his on-base streak to 21 games, but the Chicago Dogs couldn't muster enough offense as they fell to the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks, 8-1, on a rain-shortened Friday night at Impact Field.
Dogs starter Austin Wright (L, 0-4) started solid, allowing just one run through five innings, before running into trouble in the sixth.
Keon Barnum finished 2-for-2 with a double, walk, and a run scored to extend his hitting streak to a team-high ten games.
The RedHawks struck first on an RBI double by Daniel Comstock in the top of the fourth. Wright retaliated with an inning-ending strikeout, one of his three on the night, to limit the damage.
Fargo-Moorhead broke the game open with a five-run sixth inning. After the first three batters reached to load the bases, Wright was pulled for Carlos Zambrano. An RBI groundout and two-run bloop single into left field made it 4-0 Fargo. Two batters later Zambrano surrendered a two-run home run to Brennan Metzger, pushing the RedHawks' lead to six.
In the bottom half of the frame, Harrison Smith got the Dogs on the board with an RBI single to right, scoring Keon Barnum.
Casey Crosby entered the game in the seventh, allowing one hit and two walks while striking out two, in his season debut. Pedro Echemendia took over with two outs in the frame, where the RedHawks rallied for two more runs.
The game entered a rain delay at 9:47 PM and was called in the bottom of the seventh inning.
The Dogs will send D.J. Snelten (2-0) to the mound on Saturday night against the RedHawks. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Impact Field.
Fans can tune in to The Chicago Dogs Baseball Network for a live broadcast of every Dogs game, with team broadcasters Sam Brief and Henrique DaMour on the call. Follow the team on social media - @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat - and use the hashtag #TakeABite. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 14, 2019
- Hello Darkness My Old Friend: Saints and RailCats Postponed in Eighth Because of Second Power Outage, Resume Saturday - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Fall to RedHawks in Rain-Shortened Affair - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Hit Three Home Runs in Win over Saltdogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Dogs Fall to Canaries, Lose Third Straight - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milkmen Take Inaugural Game from Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lambson Goes Distance as Goldeyes Beat RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Drop Three of Four in Sioux City - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Rookie Shines in Debut and Bats Hot Again - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Miss the Sweep Train in Cleburne - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Close Homestand with a Walk-Off Win in 10, 3-2 over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Chicago Dogs Sign Legendary Professional Football Coach Mike Ditka to One-Game Co-Manage 2020 Home Opener Friday, May 22
- Keon Barnum Named Independent Baseball Player of the Year
- Chicago Dogs Announce 2020 Season Schedule
- Keon Barnum Selected as American Association MVP
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41