'Dogs Drop Three of Four in Sioux City
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Ivan Marin had two more hits and his sixth multi-hit game of the year, but the 'Dogs gave up nine unanswered runs in a 9-2 loss to the Explorers Thursday night at MercyOne Field.
The 'Dogs scored twice in the 1st after Auggie Francis and Christian Ibarra walked to begin the inning. Curt Smith then drove in a run with an RBI single and Cody Regis added another with a sacrifice fly.
The X's answered with three runs in the home-half of the 1st - Kyle Wren hit a solo homer to begin the inning, and Dexture McCall later drove in two more with a single.
Sioux City added two more in the 2nd after Wren tripled in Dylan Kelly and Nate Samson later scored him with a single. The X's added one more run in the 3rd, two more in the 6th and one final run in the 8th.
Nick Tepesch gave up eight runs on 13 hits over five-plus innings one night after John Brownell gave up eight runs over four innings. Jake Hohensee, Austin Boyle and Cam McVey all tossed an inning in relief, and McVey gave up one run.
Marin had two hits, while Curt Smith also added two more hits with a walk. Smith now has 13 multi-hit games, more than any other Saltdogs.
Kyle Wren and Nate Samson finished just one hit shy of the cycle, and after the teams split a pair of one-run games to begin the series, the X's outscored Lincoln 18-3 and out-hit the 'Dogs 32-10 over the final two games of the series.
The series was the second four-game set between the two teams in Sioux City, and the 'Dogs will not return to Sioux City after splitting eight games with the X's.
Lincoln continues a seven-game roadtrip with three games in Sioux Falls over the weekend. First pitch time from the Birdcage on Friday is set for 7:05 p.m., and pregame coverage will begin at 6:35 p.m. on ESPN Lincoln 101.5 FM/1480 AM.
The Saltdogs are playing their 19th season in Lincoln. All ticket and promo information can be found at saltdogs.com, and follow the 'Dogs on Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball.can be found at saltdogs.com, and follow the 'Dogs on Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 14, 2019
- Hello Darkness My Old Friend: Saints and RailCats Postponed in Eighth Because of Second Power Outage, Resume Saturday - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Fall to RedHawks in Rain-Shortened Affair - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Hit Three Home Runs in Win over Saltdogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Dogs Fall to Canaries, Lose Third Straight - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milkmen Take Inaugural Game from Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lambson Goes Distance as Goldeyes Beat RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Drop Three of Four in Sioux City - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Rookie Shines in Debut and Bats Hot Again - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Miss the Sweep Train in Cleburne - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Close Homestand with a Walk-Off Win in 10, 3-2 over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.