Diamond Jaxx clinch division title
(Jackson, TN) June 17th - Your first place West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx won the first half Northern Division title of the Southern League during a doubleheader against the Mississippi Braves in Pearl, Mississippi. In the first game of the night on Thursday, June 16, Diamond Jaxx infielder Matt Craig hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning to tie the game at five. The Diamond Jaxx then rallied to score four runs in the eighth inning for a 9-5 win over the Braves. Jaxx pitcher Talley Haines pitched two scoreless innings to secure the win. In the second game of the night, former San Francisco Giants pitcher David Aardsma pitched five shutout innings, striking out a total of seven for the Diamond Jaxx. Brandon Sing and Matt Murton scored two runs for the Jaxx in game two of the doubleheader. Sing had a RBI double in the fourth and Buck Coats singled in Murton for a run in the sixth, winning the game 2-1.
Since the Diamond Jaxx won the Southern League's Northern Division in the first half of the season, the first two games of the Southern League Divisional Playoff Series will be played at Pringles Park on Thursday, September 8th and Friday, September 9th. Information on playoff tickets will be released on a later date. Your first place Diamond Jaxx return home to Pringles Park on Tuesday, June 21st to begin a four game series against the Jacksonville Suns. This will be the first time the Diamond Jaxx have faced the Suns in the 2005 season.
Tickets are still available for upcoming Diamond Jaxx games, as well as season ticket packages, mini-plans, group outings, and promotional opportunities. For more information, call the Diamond Jaxx box office at (731) 988-5299 or log onto our website at www.diamondjaxx.com. The West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx are the Class-AA Southern League Affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. The Diamond Jaxx play in the 6,000 seat Pringles Park, built in 1998, located just off exit 85 from I-40 in Jackson, TN.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 17, 2005
- Braves win marathon over D-Jaxx - Mississippi Braves
- Diamond Jaxx lose 15 inning marathon - Jackson Generals
- Smokies win ninth straight - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears lose 7-2 - Mobile BayBears
- Barons bash Baybears, 7-2 - Birmingham Barons
- Suns rest regulars, get hammered by Biscuits - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Nolasco Activated; Will Pitch Tonight vs. Mississippi - Jackson Generals
- Mudcats announce roster changes - Carolina Mudcats
- Suns and Diamond Jaxx clinch playoff spots - SL
- Diamond Jaxx clinch division title - Jackson Generals
- Mudcats drop opener; West Tennessee wins first half - Carolina Mudcats
- Diamond Jaxx earn first playoff berth since 2002 - Jackson Generals
- Mississippi Braves game recap - Mississippi Braves
- Baybears win with 19 hits - Mobile BayBears
- Barons fall to Baybears, 9-3 - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.