Diablos Rally Late to Win Wednesday
WP: Hessler (1-1)
LP: Hagadone (0-1)
The El Paso Chihuahuas beat the Tacoma Rainiers 9-4 Wednesday on their first Diablos Days game wearing throwback El Paso Diablos uniforms. El Paso has won the first two games of the series and now has a 5-2 home record this season.
Wednesday's game was tied as late as the seventh inning before the Chihuahuas burst ahead with a run in the seventh and five more in the in the eighth. Carlos Asuaje, Cory Spangenberg and Diego Goris had two hits and three RBIs each. Franchy Cordero went 3-for-4 with a triple and a walk atop the El Paso order.
Tyrell Jenkins picked off two runners at first base in the second, becoming the first Chihuahuas hurler with multiple pickoffs in one inning. Keith Hessler pitched a perfect 1.2 innings of relief, entering the game when it was tied in the seventh with two Rainiers on base.
Asuaje briefly had the first grand slam of the Chihuahuas season in the eighth inning before the umpires gathered and reversed the call, ruling the ball was foul.
Box Score: statelive,game_tab,game504664
Team Records: Tacoma (7-6), El Paso (7-7)
Next Game: Thursday, 6:35 pm at Southwest University Park. Tacoma LHP Dillon Overton (1-0, 0.00) vs. El Paso RHP Dinelson Lamet (1-0, 0.00). The game will air on 600 ESPN El Paso and www.epchihuahuas.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2017
- 90s Night at AutoZone Park Is - Memphis Redbirds
- Bees Rally for Fifth Straight - Salt Lake Bees
- Grizzles Shutout 51s 1-0 in Walk-Off Fashion - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Drop Dodgers, 9-8 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Diablos Rally Late to Win Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rainiers Fall to Chihuahuas, 9-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Win Wild Slugfest in Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Pitching Hands Isotopes Sixth Straight Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Godley No-Hits the Isotopes Through Six, Aces Win Fourth Straight - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.