Despite Loss, Loons Clinch Playoff Berth
LANSING, Mich. - On a night when the Great Lakes Loons were bested on the field by the Lansing Lugnuts, their playoff fate was sealed 132 miles away in Indiana.
The Lake County Captains won 12-4 against the Fort Wayne TinCaps, which guarantees the Loons a spot in the 2018 Midwest League Playoffs. It is the sixth time in the franchise's 12-year history that they will play past Labor Day. The first round of the postseason is set to begin on Wednesday, Sept. 5.
Entering play on Thursday, the Loons had control of their own destiny. With a win, they would have qualified without any help from Fort Wayne or the West Michigan Whitecaps, the other teams they were battling for the final two playoff spots. However, the Lugnuts had other ideas.
It started when Ryan Noda launched his 20th home run of the season over the left-field wall off starter Alfredo Tavarez in the first inning. It was a two-run blast, and it was followed up by Bryan Lizardo and Freddy Rodriguez each scoring runs in the next frame to double the lead to 4-0.
Tavarez (L, 3-6) was saddled with the loss after allowing five runs (four earned) on seven hits over four innings of work.
The offense outburst by Lansing was highlighted by a five-run seventh inning that all but sealed the Loons' fate. Two runs by Great Lakes in the eighth avoided the shutout.
Friday will be the final road game of the regular season. The Loons return to Dow Diamond for a three-game Labor Day Weekend series with the South Bend Cubs that begins on Saturday.
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Late Game Heroics Move Snappers Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Suwinski Extends Hot Streak, But TinCaps Fall - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Pull Away Late for 7-3 Win Over Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Despite Loss, Loons Clinch Playoff Berth - Great Lakes Loons
- De La Rosa, Pearce Propel 'Caps to Wildcard Tie - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big Inning Beats Burlington - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits strikeout 18 in LumberKings loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Clinch Winning Season - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall to Cougars 3-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Strike out 18 on Way to 7-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Smyly Dazzles in One Inning, But Cubs Downed by Bowling Green 4-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Fall to Whitecaps in Next-to-Last Home Game of 2018 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Even Series with 4-2 Win Over Cubs - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. Lake County (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Squandered Opportunities Haunt Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win, Stay in Playoff Position - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.