Deserres to Pursue Education, Hockey at U of Calgary
SAINT JOHN - Another member of the MasterCard Memorial Cup champion Saint John Sea Dogs will be moving on to the next level of his hockey career.
The University of Calgary announced Wednesday that goalie Jacob DeSerres will pursue education and high-level hockey with the highly-regarded Dinos program.
The Calgary native will study arts at the university, after backstopping Saint John to the 2011 Memorial Cup with a perfect 3-0 record in the national championship tournament. DeSerres also won the Jacques Plante Trophy with the best goals-against average in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, a team-record 2.22 mark to go with four shutouts, also a club record. He registered two more shutouts and a 2.00 goals-against average in Saint John's run to the President's Cup as QMJHL champions.
"De Serres had a great year and we're very excited to have a goaltender of his calibre coming to us," Dinos hockey coach Mark Howell said in a release.
DeSerres attended a summer development camp with the Phoenix Coyotes before ultimately deciding to finish his education while continuing his hockey career at an elite level.
The university called DeSerres "one of the best goalies on the Canadian Interuniversity Sport recruiting radar." DeSerres will be hoping to help the Dinos return to Fredericton next March for the University Cup, the CIS national tournament.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from August 24, 2011
- Mooseheads Claim Cote off Waivers - Halifax Mooseheads
- Wes Herrett Joins Olympiques - Gatineau Olympiques
- Deserres to Pursue Education, Hockey at U of Calgary - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Mooseheads Select Cuzner in Waiver Draft - Halifax Mooseheads
- Pierre-Olivier Morin Suspended - QMJHL
- September Tickets on Sale Tomorrow - Gatineau Olympiques
- Galiev Signs with Capitals - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Drouin to Remain in Midget Aaa this Season - Halifax Mooseheads
- Panelists Confirmed for Molson Export Quebec Hockey Summit - QMJHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.