Dave Carton Named Head Coach of Independence 2
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Independence Soccer Club has appointed Dave Carton as the new head coach of Independence SC's USL League 2 team, Charlotte Independence 2.
Carton will begin the job immediately as he chooses a roster and staff and preps for Independence 2's inaugural season in League 2 this coming May.
"I'm very proud to take on the role of head coach, and to lead the program in what will be our club's first year in the league," said Carton. "I have always felt that this phase of a player's development has been underserved in recent times, and I am very excited that our club can provide this platform for our players. This is an excellent league, which will expose our players to the next step in their development. This program is an integral part of what makes our club unique in our soccer community, and I look forward to working with the players and staff to make a very real impact in this league."
Carton, with 15 years of experience as a coach, and director of clubs in North Carolina and South Carolina, becomes the first-ever head coach to take the reins of Independence 2. In addition, he is the Technical Director for Independence SC where he is responsible for club curriculum and player development among other duties.
"Dave [Carton] is a natural choice for the position, stated Thomas Finlay, Independence Soccer Club's Chief Executive Officer. "He is qualified, soccer smart, and motivated, and will play a significant role in how we integrate our youth club with the pro team as well as unifying the soccer community. This is purely a reflection of the club's commitment to player development for all players."
Independence 2 provides a professional environment to help bridge the development gap between the club's Academy and its USL Championship team, the Charlotte Independence. Carton and his staff will help introduce Independence SC's Academy players to the professional platform through the summer months, integrating them with current high-level college players that are alumni of the club, and USL professional prospects, as part of the Independence's Player Pathway.
The program, which will compete in the Deep South Division in League 2's Southern Conference, will allow Independence SC to align and underscore the Independence's professional playing style and identity with the USL Championship, completing the club's Development Pyramid, and providing players with the complete Path 2 Pro experience.
"The goal of the program is to link and connect the work we are doing with the Academy, with what Mike (Jeffries) is doing with the first team," added Carton. "We will build the squad primarily around top Academy players and Independence SC Alumni that are currently competing in their college programs. The aim here is to knit the club together, building on an already existing emotional connection, but also provide a feeling of belonging among the players that is very often missing at this level of play. This facet of the program motivates me greatly, and I believe will create a unique USL 2 environment that our players and members can be proud of."
A native of Wexford, Ireland, Carton graduated from Winthrop University with a BA in History, followed by a master's degree in History in 2010, receiving a second master's degree in International Sports Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute for Sports Management in 2015. After graduating, Carton joined the coaching staff at Winthrop. In his three years on staff, the Eagles won a Regular Season Championship and two Big South Conference Championships.
Additionally, Carton spent 12 years at Discoveries Soccer Club where he was an Academy Director, Director of Coaching, and Executive Director.
Carton holds a USSF National "A" license, USC Premier license, and a Master Coach Diploma from the United Soccer Coaches.
For more information regarding Carton and Independence 2, visit independencesoccer.club. Additional information will be forth coming directly to Independence SC's members.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 20, 2021
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Emil Cuello - San Antonio FC
- Dave Carton Named Head Coach of Independence 2 - Charlotte Independence
- United Soccer League Launches Impact Committee, Somos Unidos Foundation Executive Director Named Committee Lead - New Mexico United
- FC Tulsa Set for Soft Opening of Team Shop on Saturday - FC Tulsa
- A Letter to Fans from Bruce Mandell - Hartford Athletic
- Republic FC Sign Midfielder Tucker Bone - Sacramento Republic FC
- Indy Eleven Represented on New USL Impact Committee - Indy Eleven
- USL Impact Committee Launches, Identifies Areas of Focus - USL
- USL Expects 'Productive Two Weeks' as Winter Summit Goes All-Digital - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Independence Stories
- Charlotte Independence Announces Season Ticket Options and Pricing for American Legion Memorial Stadium
- Charlotte Independence Partners with Next Levels LLC for Merchandise Sales at New Stadium
- Charlotte Independence Announces Extended Partnership with Hyatt Place
- Hugh Roberts Returning to Charlotte in 2021
- Independence and Los Angeles de Charlotte Team up to Host Community Clinic