Dash Forward Veronica Latsko to Play in Australian W-League 2020 Grand Final Tonight
HOUSTON - Houston Dash forward Veronica Latsko and Sydney FC will take on Melbourne City for the Australian W-League 2020 Grand Final tonight at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. The Grand Final will be played behind closed doors due to safety concerns related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
WHAT: Westfield W-League
WHO: Sydney FC vs. Melbourne City
WHEN: Friday, March 20 - 11:00 p.m. CST
WHERE: Melbourne Rectangular Stadium - Melbourne, Australia
This 2019-20 W-League season, Latsko stepped foot on the field for the first time after suffering a season-ending knee injury during the 2019 NWSL season. She made her return in mid-December, five games into the 2019-20 W-League season and a little over 200 days since her injury. Since then, the forward has become an integral part of the Sydney FC line up. She has played in every single match for the club since her return, starting in seven out of nine appearances.
Latsko has scored three goals for Sydney FC this season, one of which came during the nail-biting semifinal against the Melbourne Victory. In the opening minutes of the match, the forward raced into the box and slid to get a foot on the ball and poke it into the net, giving Sydney FC an early lead. Latsko's lone goal held up, giving Sydney a 1-0 win and setting up a face- off against Melbourne City FC in the Grand Final.
It's the 24-year-old's first professional final, and she's up against a big opponent. Melbourne City boasts an unbeaten season and a star-studded lineup, but Latsko isn't afraid.
"I don't think anyone is particularly nervous about it," she told HoustonDash.com. "I think we are all just so grateful we get to do what we love with the people we are about, we're all ready to give it everything we have on Saturday one last time together."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from March 20, 2020
- NWSL Extends Training Moratorium Through April 5 - NWSL
- Dash Forward Veronica Latsko to Play in Australian W-League 2020 Grand Final Tonight - Houston Dash
- Pride in the W-League: Grand Final Preview - Orlando Pride
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Seven Dash Players Close the Year with National Team Duty
- Michelle Alozie Finds Success on the Pitch and in the Laboratory
- Forward Michelle Alozie Called up to Nigerian Women's National Team Camp
- Houston Dash Announce 2021 Team Awards
- Defender Abby Dahlkemper Joins San Diego FC