Dance Halls Collect Walkoff 4-3 Win over Honky Tonks
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Dance Halls (13-16) took the first step toward proving the Nashville Honky Tonks (12-13) that both baseball and country music are far superior in Texas thanks to a 4-3 walkoff win after 10 innings in the game one of the inaugural Battle for the Boot.
Express LHP Christian Torres (1-0, 0.00) earned the win in what was his Triple-A debut. He tossed a 1-2-3 10th inning of relief, recording a strikeout in the process. Honky Tonks reliver RHP Aaron Kurcz (2-2, 5.68) suffered the loss after allowing the walkoff game winner.
Round Rock broke through in the second inning. DH Jared Hoying led off with a double then boot scootin' boogied over to third base on a wild pitch. Hoying raced home with the game's first run on an ensuing Travis Snider groundout.
After retiring the first 11 hitters faced, Dance Halls starter RHP Tyler Wagner surrendered a solo home run to Honky Tonks RF Mark Canha in the fourth inning, leveling the contest at one. However, the Dance Halls two-stepped back into the lead in the bottom of the frame. 1B Ronald Guzman lined a leadoff triple to deep center field before sprinting home on a Cesar Puello sacrifice fly.
An explosive play at the plate in the sixth inning kept the Dance Halls ahead. After a leadoff double by LF Kenny Wilson, SS Franklin Barreto lined a double down the left field line. Round Rock LF Drew Robinson launched a throw to SS Jurickson Profar, who gunned down Wilson at the plate with no time to spare.
In the seventh, Honky Tonks 1B Matt Olson collected a one-out single then advanced to second on a wild pitch. Two hitters later, 3B Matt Chapman lined a two-run homer onto the berm in left field, giving Nashville their first lead of the night at 3-2.
The Honky Tonks' time being superior than the Dance Halls was short-lived. Round Rock knotted the game at three just minutes later as Snider doubled before racing home on an ensuing Josh Wilson double.
With Torres on to pitch the 10th inning, 2B Elio Castillo, also making his Triple-A debut, worked a one-out walk. After a Robinson single, Profar lined an RBI double down the right field line, sending Castillo flying home with the game-winning run.
The Dance Halls transform back into the Express for Saturday's series opener against the Oklahoma City Dodgers. Round Rock RHP Dillon Gee (1-3, 5.19) is scheduled to face off against OKC RHP Justin Masterson (2-1, 2.16). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 7:05 p.m. The first 2,500 fans through the gates will receive a Nolan Ryan bobblehead giveaway commemorating his fourth no-hitter, presented by Whataburger.
Single game tickets, season memberships, Flex Plans and Kids Club packages are on sale now. For more information on the Express, visit or call (512) 255-2255.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 5, 2017
- Albuquerque 5 El Paso 2 - Friday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dance Halls Collect Walkoff 4-3 Win over Honky Tonks - Round Rock Express
- Dance Halls Walk-Off Honky Tonks in Round Rock - Nashville Sounds
- Pevey Captures 300th Win of I-Cubs Career - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Recap: May 5, 2017 - Colorado Springs 15, OKC 3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Double up Dodgers in 15-3 Romp - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Ride Reyes to Eighth-Straight Win - Memphis Redbirds
- United States Navy Parachute Team Performing at AutoZone Park - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Saturday - Nashville Sounds
- Star Wars Night Set for this Evening at Werner Park - Omaha Storm Chasers
- OKC Dodgers to Honor Esurance Rising Star Students Program Winner - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Candelario Named Chicago Cubs Minor League Player of the Month - Iowa Cubs
- Tacoma 8, Las Vegas 1 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.