D.C. United Place Last Piece of Structural Steel at Audi Field
WASHINGTON - D.C. United have officially placed the final piece of structural steel at Audi Field, United's new state-of-the-art soccer-specific stadium and adjoining mixed use development in the Southwest Waterfront District. Over 2,000 fans and staff along with midfielder Luciano Acosta and defender Steve Birnbaum signed their names on the steel beam to commemorate the moment before it was lifted into place. D.C. United's inaugural game at Audi Field is scheduled for July 14 at 7 PM against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Nearly 500 D.C. United staff, players, fans and members of the community joined together at Audi Field to celebrate the construction milestone.
Audi Field will be the home for D.C. United, the most decorated franchise in U.S. soccer history and the most championed professional team in the District of Columbia. Opening on July 14, 2018, it will also host a variety of other sporting and cultural events, community activities, and concerts. The state-of-the-art urban facility has a capacity of 20,000 fans and will feature 31 luxury suites, a bike valet, and 500,000 total square feet of mixed-use retail and residential space on site, making it a 365-day destination for fans and D.C. residents alike.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2018
- Defender Kyle Fisher Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Sign 15-Year-Old Midfielder Gilbert Fuentes to Homegrown Player Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United Place Last Piece of Structural Steel at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Milton Valenzuela on Loan From Argentina - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United, La Barra Brava, the District Ultras and Screaming Eagles Join Forces at Audi Field
- D.C. United's New USL Affiliate Loudoun United Join the United Soccer League for 2019
- United Announce Departure of Tom Hunt
- United Hire Chris Hull as Senior Advisor in Communications and Business Operations
- United Acquire $150,000 TAM from Columbus for Patrick Mullins