Curve Take Series from Sea Dogs on Thursday
Curve, Pa.- Mel Rojas Jr. did it again with a two-run triple in the bottom of the eighth inning to lead the Curve to a, 2-0 win over the Portland Sea Dogs on Thursday night at Peoples Natural Gas Field. The shutout was the ninth of the season for the Curve pitching staff.
Alex Dickerson belted a one-out double to get the offense going in the home half of the eighth inning. He advanced to third on a single by Justin Howard. After Charlie Cutler was retired on a pop up to third base, Rojas Jr. delivered a two-run triple down the right field line to put the Curve up, 2-0.
The two runs were more than enough for Curve (57-65) starter David Bromberg. The right-hander tossed eight shutout innings and allowed only two hits. Bromberg (6-9) walked just one and struck out seven. The seven strikeouts give him a total of 114 for the season.
Bromberg's eight innings were a season-high, surpassing his 7.1 inning performance against the Reading Fightins on May 22. It also tied him for the most innings pitched by a Curve starter this season with Casey Sadler who accomplished the feat on May 6 against the Harrisburg Senators.
Kenn Kasparek worked around a one-out single to pick up his first save of the season. Kasparek's scoreless ninth inning extended his scoreless innings streak to 15.1 innings over his last six appearances.
Adalberto Santos worked a walk in the bottom of the third inning to extend his on-base streak to 20 consecutive games. Alen Hanson had two hits in the effort and Rojas Jr. had three extra-base hits for the Curve offense. Gregory Polanco picked up a single in the bottom half of the fifth inning to extend his Double-A season-high hitting streak to seven games.
Pete Ruiz (2-3) took the loss for the Sea Dogs (58-65) allowing two runs on three hits in one inning of relief.
LHP Nate Baker (3-1, 5.86) will get the ball in the series opener with the Erie SeaWolves at Jerry Uht Park on Friday night. The start will be the fourth of the season for Baker and his first against the SeaWolves. He will be opposed by LHP Matt Crouse (8-9, 4.51) for Erie. Crouse will make his fourth start of the season against the Curve having gone 1-1 in his first three.
Airtime on ESPN Radio 1430, WVAM and the Curve Radio Network is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. on Firday night. For tickets and more information on the next Curve homestand which begins on Monday August 19, call 877.99.CURVE, visit AltoonaCurve.com or stop by the ticket windows at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 15, 2013
- Thunder Win Streak Over, Sens Win 6-5 - Trenton Thunder
- Pettibone Back to Form in Fightins Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- Bullpen Breakdown Opens Door for Squirrels in 9-6 Win over Aeros - Akron RubberDucks
- Jesus Takes the Wheel as Squirrels Stun Aeros Again, 9-6 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Pound Rock Cats in Finale 9-3 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rodriguez Roasts SeaWolves - Bowie Baysox
- Offense Erupts Late in Rubber Match, 9-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rock Cats Knocked Around in Front of 6,441, Lose 9-3 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Doyle seven scoreless, but Sea Dogs fall 3-0 in Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Take Series from Sea Dogs on Thursday - Altoona Curve
- Curve Groundskeeper Ben Young Named 2013 E.L. Diamond Pro Sports - Altoona Curve
- Altoona's Ben Young Named Diamond Pro Sports Field Manager of the Year - EL
- Outfield Prospects Mason Williams & Ben Gamel Promoted To Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs vs. Curve - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Altoona Curve Game Information: August 15, 2013 - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets vs. Fightin Phils - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Squirrels Announce Second Annual Nutzy's Rotary Funn Run - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Just 7 Sea Dogs' Home Games Remain - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Curve to Host National Anthem Tryouts in Somerset, Altoona
- Curve Introduce Partnership Details with 12-10 Production Company
- Curve Announce Promotions, Additions in Front Office
- Hayes Wins Second Straight Rawlings Gold Glove Award
- Curve Nominated for Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award