Cubs Alumni Fergie Jenkins, Lee Smith Visit Pelicans for Cubs-A-Palooza
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans will welcome former Chicago Cubs legends Ferguson Jenkins and Lee Smith on June 1 and 2, respectively, as the club celebrates the second annual Cubs-A-Palooza at TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Jenkins, who was inducted into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame in 1991 following a stellar 19-year career with the Cubs, Texas Rangers, Philadelphia Phillies and Boston Red Sox, will be on hand for Myrtle Beach's 7:05 p.m. game on Friday, June 1. The 1971 National League Cy Young Award winner will sign autographs for approximately an hour after first pitch. A three-time All-Star, Jenkins was a 20-game winner for seven seasons, including six in a row as a Cub from 1967-72. He is one of just 16 pitchers in baseball history to accumulate over 3,000 strikeouts.
Smith's autograph session begins just after Saturday's 6:05 p.m. first pitch. Signed by legendary scout Buck O'Neil, Smith is the Cubs' all-time leader in career saves with 180 in a Chicago uniform. One of the most dominant closers in major league history by accumulating 478 saves throughout his 18-year big league career, Smith held the record for career saves from 1993 until 2006, when he was finally passed by Hall of Famer Trevor Hoffman. In 1991, Smith set the National League record with 47 saves for the St. Louis Cardinals, finishing as the runner-up in the NL's Cy Young voting. Smith wound up leading the league in that category in four different seasons.
Cubs-A-Palooza weekend also features a Cubs-era photo baseball giveaway on Saturday to the first 1,000 fans once gates open at 5 p.m. The photo baseball is the first in a set of four that will be given away each Saturday in June. Additional photo baseballs highlight the Pelicans' Braves and Rangers eras, respectively, and another that features the Birds' managers.
The Pelicans are offering fans an all-inclusive Cubs-A-Palooza VIP package. For just $60, VIPs will receive a field box ticket to each game on June 1 and 2, a meal voucher to the Clark and Addison Grille for each game and a wristband for access to both Jenkins' and Smith's respective Meet & Greet sessions. More information can be found on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Cubs.
Friday's game is also Beer, Brats and Baseball presented by Lowes Foods, meaning $2 craft drafts from 6-8 p.m. and buy-one, get-one sausages all night long. Additionally, all first responders receive half-price tickets at the Pelicans' box office with their ID as a part of First Responder Friday presented by 707 Indoor Shooting Range, Goldfinch Winslow Attorneys and Counselors at Law and WMBF News. Gates open at 6 p.m. for Friday's 7:05 p.m. contest. As part of a Locals Appreciation Saturday, locals who show their ID at the Pelicans' box office receive $3 off their tickets prior to Saturday's game.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Myrtle Beach Nipped 3-1 in Rubber Match - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Inside-The-Park Home Run Pushes Rocks to Victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winning Streak Ends at Six as Lynchburg Drops Rain-Soaked Game - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Thursday's Game at Buies Creek Postponed - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wells Earns First Carolina League Win - Frederick Keys
- Two Wood Ducks Earn Rangers' Recognition for April Performances - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Set to Host Scavenger Hunt Night on Thursday, May 24th - Potomac Nationals
- Sox, P-Nats Swept by Rain - Salem Red Sox
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 17 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cubs Alumni Fergie Jenkins, Lee Smith Visit Pelicans for Cubs-A-Palooza - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Potomac and Salem Washed out on Thursday - Potomac Nationals
- NBC Sports Chicago to Televise Seven Dash Games - Winston-Salem Dash
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
- Pitching Staff Shines Again in Series-Clincher - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Thompson, Peyton Dominate Mudcats in 1-0 Blanking
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 26 at Carolina
- Hiura's Walk-Off Sinks Myrtle Beach in Series Opener at Carolina
- Pelicans Back in Action at Home on Tuesday
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 25 at Carolina