Cross Hanas Claims WHL Goal of the Year
Two Portland Winterhawks players claimed a spot in the 2018-19 Top Ten WHL Goals of the Year. Rookie Cross Hanas checks in at number one on the list, while second-year player Reece Newkirk clocks in at number nine on the countdown.
Hanas finished his 16-year-old season with eight goals and 14 assists for 22 points in 67 games. His highlight reel goal came on December 11, 2018 on the road against Victoria, the same game in which he recorded his first multi-goal effort in the Western Hockey League.
Newkirk is ranked #66 on the NHL Central Scouting List for North American Skaters. He set career highs with 23 goals, 36 assists and 59 points during the regular season. He has 70 points (31G-39A) in 129 career games with the Winterhawks.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- Game Notes vs Moose Jaw: March 22nd Game 1 - Saskatoon Blades
- 2019 WHL Playoffs Begin Tonight - WHL
- Wheat Kings' Captain Inks Pro Deal - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Friday, March 22 at Lethbridge - Calgary Hitmen
- #WHLPlayoffs Preview: Portland Winterhawks (3) vs. Spokane Chiefs (2) - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Playoffs: Round One Preview - Game 1 & 2 - Portland Winterhawks
- Cross Hanas Claims WHL Goal of the Year - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.