Criswell Carries Trash Pandas Past Lookouts 5-2ÃÂ
The Rocket City Trash Pandas rallied late and got another remarkable start on the mound, this time from Cooper Criswell, to began their road trip with a 5-2 win over the Chattanooga Lookouts on Tuesday night at AT&T Field.
With the score tied 2-2 in the top of the eighth, the Trash Pandas patiently rallied for the go-ahead runs. Mitch Nay led off the frame with a walk, Izzy Wilson reached on a fielder's choice error, and Ibandel Isabel walked to load the bases with nobody out.
With Ray-Patrick Didder at the plate, Chattanooga reliever Alexis Diaz threw a wild pitch, allowing Nay to score the third Rocket City run. Didder then walked to re-load the bases. When Michael Cruz stepped up, a passed ball from catcher Mark Kolozsvary allowed Wilson to score and double the lead. Later in the inning, a bases-loaded walk from Dalton Pompey capped the scoring as Rocket City scored three runs without a base hit.
Pitching with the lead for the first time, Criswell returned to the mound and worked around a two-out single in both the eighth and ninth innings to finish the win for the Trash Pandas, the first complete game of his professional career.
In the first nine-inning complete game in Trash Pandas history, Criswell gave up two runs on six hits with one walk and five strikeouts to earn his fourth win of the season. The complete game marks the second straight for Rocket City pitching after Kyle Tyler accomplished the feat in the second game of Sunday's doubleheader sweep over Biloxi.
The game didn't begin as well as it ended for Criswell as the Lookouts plated a pair of first inning runs on an RBI double from Lorenzo Cedrola, who came around to score on a single to right from Kolozsvary. But those would be the only runs the Lookouts could produce off the Rocket City starter.
Mostly pitching to contact, Criswell retired the side in the second, third, and fourth with just one strikeout.
In the sixth, Gavin Cecchini led off with a walk for Rocket City. Two hitters later, Orlando Martinez launched a two-run homer over the fence in right, his ninth of the season to tie the game 2-2.
Criswell (W, 4-3) kept it tied over the next two innings before the eighth inning rally gave the Trash Pandas the lead for good.
At the plate, Martinez and Wilson each went 2-for-5 in the win while eight of the nine Rocket City starters reached base on either a hit or a walk. Wilson also stole two bases to increase his team-leading total to 11 for the season.
Rocket City (23-19) and Chattanooga (23-19) continue their series on Wednesday night. First pitch at AT&T Field is scheduled for 6:15 p.m. Josh Caray will be on the call for 103.9 FM THE UMP and 730 AM SportsRadio.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A South League message board...
Double-A South League Stories from June 22, 2021
- Winning Streak Snapped by Smokies on Tuesday, 2-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Criswell Carries Trash Pandas Past Lookouts 5-2ÃÂ - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Lookouts Get out to a Fast Start, But Fall 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Shuckers and Biscuits Postponed - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Shuckers Postponed - Montgomery Biscuits
- Fourth of July Festivities Return to Blue Wahoos Stadium - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Ethan Small Promoted to Triple-A Nashville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Braves' No. 20 Prospect Spencer Strider Added from High-A Rome - Mississippi Braves
- Tuesday, June 22 vs. Tennessee Smokies: 6:35 PM: Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- Cooper Criswell Named Double-A South Pitcher of the Week - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- July Promotions Announced for Biloxi Shuckers - Biloxi Shuckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.