Cougars Take Wild Card Lead with Sweep
PEORIA, Ill.- Despite a 3-4 road trip, the Kane County Cougars (36-30, 71-64) find themselves in the driver's seat for the Western Division Wild Card race after sweeping the Peoria Chiefs (37-29, 76-60) with a 10-3 win from Dozer Park Friday night. Beloit's loss to Wisconsin puts the Cougars one game ahead of the Snappers in the wild card race and one-and-a-half games above the Timber Rattlers. With Wisconsin coming to town on Saturday, the Cougars magic number is three.
The offense arrived immediately for the Cougars, as Jancarlos Cintron, Yan Sanchez and Ryan Grotjohn all drove in runs to jump out to a 3-0 lead in the first. Alvaro Seijas (5-8) found more trouble in the second inning as he served up a leadoff double to Jose Herrera. Ryan Dobson then blasted his first professional home run on a 1-0 pitch from Seijas, sending it over the left field fence. It was Dobson's first home run of his career in his 104th minor league game. Cintron increased it to a 6-0 lead with a sacrifice fly.
Jayson McKinley (9-4) then stole the show with his fifth quality start of 2018. The Houston native set a career-high with 10 strikeouts, complementing with seven shutout innings. McKinley didn't allow a base hit until the fourth inning. The Cougars' rotation combined for 25 strikeouts in the series against Peoria.
Tim Susnara sparked the offense again with an RBI single in the seventh inning. Grotjohn followed with an RBI double, before Jose Herrera doubled home two more runs for a 10-0 lead.
Despite a shaky bullpen, the Cougars still finished off the game. Abraham Almonte loaded the bases in the eighth inning, but coughed up no runs. Juan Torres walked four batters in the ninth as Peoria scored their first three earned runs of the series.
The Cougars finish off the regular season with three games against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. Left-hander Scott Sunitch (2-0, 1.69) toes the rubber against the Cougars' right-hander Cole Bartlett (5-3, 3.93). Saturday's game begins with a 6:30 p.m. first pitch from Northwestern Medicine Field. Gates open at 4:30 p.m. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or visit kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Hot Rods Steam over Cubs 6-1 in Home Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Close Regular-Season Home Schedule with 3-2 10-Inning Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Beat Beloit in Home Finale 6-5 on 11th Walkoff Victory of 2018 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Tough Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Rally in Ninth, But Fall in Regular Season Home Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Edge TinCaps in Final Road Game of 2018 - Lake County Captains
- 'Caps to Settle Playoff Fate this Weekend - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cougars Take Wild Card Lead with Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings fall in 2018 home finale - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Drop Series Finale to Cougars 10-3 - Peoria Chiefs
- Grand Slam by Davis Sends Kernels to Seventh Straight - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Donato Deals, Taylor Drives Offense as Bandits Win Final Road Game - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Earn Series Win, Defeat Cubs 6-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Close out Home Season with 7-5 Win - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lake County (Game 135/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2019 Season - Kane County Cougars
- OF Agustin Ruiz transferred to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Indians and Lake County Captains Renew Player Development Contract - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts Win 80th Game in 10-2 Rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Benson Clubs Third Grand Slam in Rout over TinCaps - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- New & Extended Protective Netting to be Installed at Northwestern Medicine Field
- Cougars Announce 8th Annual 5K to be Held on Saturday, May 18
- Single-Game Tickets for Your Cougars 2019 Season on Sale Now
- Cougars Unveil Promotional Lineup for 2019 Season
- Dine with Your Valentine at Cougars Home Field, February 9