Cougars Clinch Winning Season
PEORIA, Ill. - Playoffs or not, the Kane County Cougars (35-30, 70-64) can say the 2018 season was a winning one after a 3-1 win over the Peoria Chiefs (37-28, 76-59) Thursday night from Dozer Park. The Cougars second straight win guarantees a winning series. It also guarantees at least a tie for the Wild Card lead with the Beloit Snappers.
After never leading in the four-game series sweep to Cedar Rapids, the Cougars haven't trailed in the first two games against Peoria and have outscored the Chiefs 9-1. Franklyn Soriano (2-3) and Johan Oviedo (10-10) kept the game scoreless through four innings before the Cougars put up a three spot in the fifth.
Eudy Ramos led off the inning and belted a solo homer over the left field wall for the first run of the ballgame. The Cougars offense continued against Oviedo with hits from Jose Herrera and Ryan Dobson, but a couple of fielder's choices forced two outs. Jancarlos Cintron kept the inning alive with an RBI single to plate Jose Caballero. Another Cougar run came home on Wood Myers' error for a 3-0 Cougar lead.
Peoria's only run of the series came home against the Cougar bullpen, but it was an unearned run charged to Rafael Pujols. The right-handed reliever only allowed that one run before a perfect seventh and exiting in the eighth. Kyler Stout took the mound in the eighth inheriting runners at the corners and looking for the five-out save. Stout used two pitches to end the inning with a 6-4-3 double play.
Peoria threatened again in the ninth inning against Stout with a leadoff single from Julio Rodriguez and a one-out walk from Brandon Benson. Stout came back with a strikeout to Nick Plummer. Stout finished the game, punching out Andres Luna to seal his fifth save of the year. Pujols earned his second hold of the year.
A sweep is in reach of the Cougars in Friday's finale against Peoria. Right-hander Jayson McKinley (8-4, 3.47) will take the mound against Peoria's Alvaro Seijas (5-7, 4.15). First pitch from Dozer Park is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Coverage on AM 1280 WBIG and kccougars.com begins at 6:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Late Game Heroics Move Snappers Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Suwinski Extends Hot Streak, But TinCaps Fall - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Pull Away Late for 7-3 Win Over Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Despite Loss, Loons Clinch Playoff Berth - Great Lakes Loons
- De La Rosa, Pearce Propel 'Caps to Wildcard Tie - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big Inning Beats Burlington - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits strikeout 18 in LumberKings loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Clinch Winning Season - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall to Cougars 3-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Strike out 18 on Way to 7-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Smyly Dazzles in One Inning, But Cubs Downed by Bowling Green 4-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Fall to Whitecaps in Next-to-Last Home Game of 2018 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Even Series with 4-2 Win Over Cubs - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. Lake County (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Squandered Opportunities Haunt Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win, Stay in Playoff Position - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- New & Extended Protective Netting to be Installed at Northwestern Medicine Field
- Cougars Announce 8th Annual 5K to be Held on Saturday, May 18
- Single-Game Tickets for Your Cougars 2019 Season on Sale Now
- Cougars Unveil Promotional Lineup for 2019 Season
- Dine with Your Valentine at Cougars Home Field, February 9