Cossa Named to Hockey Canada Goaltending Camp
(EDMONTON, AB) - Edmonton Oil Kings goaltender Sebastian Cossa is among 23 goaltenders invited to Hockey Canada's virtual four-day Program of Excellence goaltending camp from June 9-12.
Typically serving as the initial evaluation stage for summer development and selection camps for Canada's national men's teams, the online camp will focus on goaltender development and evaluation through online education.
Twenty-three of the top goaltenders in Canada will participate in camp, as well as 11 elite-level instructors. The list of goaltenders includes five at the under-20 level , six at the under-18 level and 12 at the under-17 level . FULL LIST POSTED AT WWW.HOCKEYCANADA.CA
This marks Sebastian Cossa's first invitation to a Hockey Canada camp.
Cossa, a 6'5.5", 206 pound netminder, has just completed his first season with the Oil Kings, appearing in 33 games, posting a 2.23 goals against average and a 0.921 save percentage. In his first game, on October 4, 2019 vs. the Swift Current Broncos, he registered his first WHL win and his first WHL shutout, making 40 saves.
During the shortened WHL campaign, the native of Fort McMurray, AB set a franchise record with 21 wins as a rookie and was named the recipient of the Oil Kings Unsung Hero Award. Cossa was also named the WHL Vaughn Goaltender of the Month of December, 2019.
Cossa was the Oil Kings' second round selection, 36th overall, in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.
"The Program of Excellence goaltending camp is a great opportunity to bring together the top young goaltenders in the country and assist with the development process for these athletes," said Scott Salmond, senior vice-president of national teams for Hockey Canada. "Despite the unique nature of this year's camp and the switch to an online delivery for our programs, we believe all 23 goalies will benefit from world-class instruction as we continue to prepare for a new season."
Online sessions will include goaltender development, mental and physical performance, planning for short-term competition, environments for success, embracing the role of a back-up goaltender and more.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 8, 2020
- Chiefs Announce Contract Extensions for Multiple Hockey Staff Members - Spokane Chiefs
- Nine WHL Goaltenders Invited to Hockey Canada's Program of Excellence Goaltending Camp - WHL
- Dustin Wolf Wins CHL Goaltender of the Year Award Presented by Vaughn - WHL
- Cossa Invited to Hockey Canada's Virtual Goaltending Camp - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Prospect Reid Dyck Invited to Hockey Canada POE Goaltender Camp - Swift Current Broncos
- Garand and Ernst Named to Hockey Canada Program of Excellence Goaltender Camp - Kamloops Blazers
- Cossa Named to Hockey Canada Goaltending Camp - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Cougars' Brennan, Gauthier Invited to Hockey Canada Program of Excellence Goaltending Camp - Prince George Cougars
- Kucerik to Attend Czech National Junior Training Camp - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett
- Svanenbergs Signs Standard Players Agreement with Oil Kings
- Cossa Recounts Experiences Through Fires, Flooding and COVID-19 in Hometown Fort McMurray
- Oil Kings Select Janis Svanenbergs in 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Oilers Prospect and General Manager Named to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Camp Roster