CONCACAF to Honor D.C. United Forward Carlos Ruiz with First-Ever President's Award
Washington D.C. (April 17, 2013) - CONCACAF today announced that D.C. United forward and Guatemala native Carlos Ruiz will be honored with the confederation's first-ever President's Award. CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb recognized Ruiz for his achievements in fighting against match manipulation in his home country. Ruiz's actions in speaking out against match fixing on the Guatemalan National Team paved the way for a significant inquiry into the issue. A ceremony to celebrate El Pescadito will take place tomorrow (Thursday, April 18) at Palacio Bolivar in the CancillerÃ-a General de la RepÃÂºblica in Panama City, Panama.
"The success of football within our region is constantly being shaped by individual actions of players, coaches, administrators and executives," said Webb in a statement from CONCACAF. "We want to recognize Carlos for his incredible courage to stand up for the integrity of our game and denounce match manipulation activities. His long legacy to football has now a deep footprint both inside and outside the pitch."
Ruiz has appeared on the international level 104 times for Guatemala, tallying a nation-best 55 goals. El Pescadito signed with D.C. United after being selected via the MLS allocation process on Feb. 20. One of the most storied players in the League's history, Ruiz has garnered several MLS MVP, MLS Cup MVP and Golden Boot accolades since he joined MLS in 2002. Ruiz has featured in five United matches this season and will face off against his former club, the Philadelphia Union, this Sunday, April 21 (5 p.m.; ESPN2) at RFK Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2013
- Red Bulls Drop Close 1-0 Decision to Sporting Kansas City - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Focused on Getting Back to Basics Ahead of Clash with Sporting Kansas City - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Scouting Report: Chicago Fire - Columbus Crew SC
- San Jose Earthquakes Partner with You Can Play Project - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy to Play in Inaugural Guinness International Champions Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- CONCACAF to Honor D.C. United Forward Carlos Ruiz with First-Ever President's Award - D.C. United
- Timbers, MLS Works, Continental Tire Launch Earth Day Service - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Waive Midfielder Paulo Jr. - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- United Drives to Collect Pet Supplies - D.C. United
- Crew and Fire Ready to Re-Ignite Rivalry in Oduro's Return to Chicago - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union to Play Harrisburg City Islanders on June 18 - Philadelphia Union
- Even When Down a Goal "No Panic" for Resilient Crew - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.